Overlay is not applicable exception

Hello,

I am trying to build a custom image and hit this exception:

Building image as per configuration file 'tcbuild.yaml'...

=>> Handling input section
Unpacking Toradex Easy Installer image.
Copying Toradex Easy Installer image.
Unpacking TorizonCore Toradex Easy Installer image.
Importing OSTree revision 7b671c2c471331a20eb8c36485acddcdf9abf27d5c725b6a8baaad2692656341 from local repository...
1140 metadata, 12738 content objects imported; 529.7 MB content written                                                                                            
0 metadata, 0 content objects imported; 0 bytes content written                                                                                                    
Unpacked OSTree from Toradex Easy Installer image:
  Commit checksum: 7b671c2c471331a20eb8c36485acddcdf9abf27d5c725b6a8baaad2692656341
  TorizonCore Version: 5.7.2+build.20

=>> Handling customization section

=> Setting splash screen
splash screen merged to initramfs

=> Handling device-tree subsection

=> Selecting custom device-tree 'linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dts'
'imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dts' compiles successfully.
warning: removing currently applied device tree overlays
Device tree imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dtb successfully applied.

=> Adding device-tree overlay 'device-trees/overlays/touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dts'
'touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dts' compiles successfully.
/tmp/tmp6pu1tdvy: Device Tree Blob version 17, size=89671, boot CPU=0, string block size=7071, DT structure block size=82544
'touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dtbo' can successfully modify the device tree 'imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dtb'.
Overlay touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dtbo successfully applied.

=> Adding device-tree overlay 'device-trees/overlays/verdin-imx8mp_sn65dsi84-lt170410_overlay.dts'
'verdin-imx8mp_sn65dsi84-lt170410_overlay.dts' compiles successfully.

Failed to apply '/tmp/tmpgr55l_ir': FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND

error: cannot apply device tree overlays ['/storage/dt/usr/lib/modules/5.4.193-5.7.2+git.b60d3160fd04/dtb/overlays/touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dtbo', '/tmp/tmpgr55l_ir'] against device tree /storage/dt/usr/lib/modules/5.4.193-5.7.2+git.b60d3160fd04/dtb/imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dtb.
error: overlay 'device-trees/overlays/verdin-imx8mp_sn65dsi84-lt170410_overlay.dts' is not applicable.

I got my overlay configuration here, I have the capacitive touch 10.1 with lvds adapter to a verdin imx8mp SoM. When I applied these overlays to an existing image on the module it worked fine and got my display working, why won’t it let me build with them?

Thanks

Hey @bengur,

Can you tell me what carrier board you are working with?
And what TorizonCore OS version you are on?
Are you doing any custom work to these files or are they the default from our repository?

additional info::

I had a teammate who was able to reproduce a similar error. This was with mixing TorizonCore 6 device tree with TorizonCore 5 overlays. From your previous post I believe you have the TorizonCore 5 overlays.

Can you verify the source of this device tree? specifically this:
( > Selecting custom device-tree 'linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mp-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dts'

To note: From our git repos branch names.
Toradex_5.4- is referencing TorizonCore 5 and Toradex_5.15- will be TorizonCore 6.

-Eric

Thanks for getting back to me, here’s the info you requested:

• Carrier board: Verdin Development Board
  • I am using the following TorizonCore image: torizon-core-docker-verdin-imx8mp-Tezi_5.7.2+build.20.tar
  • I want to use torizoncore 5 but didn’t find the overlays listed here in the base overlays repo, so I manually added all three of them from the overlays git (touch-atmel-mxt_overlay.dtbo, verdin-imx8mp_sn65dsi84-lt170410_overlay.dtbo, verdin-imx8mp_sn65dsi84_overlay.dtbo).

What you said about using TorizonCore 5 overlays with TorizonCore 6 device tree not working makes sense, am I using the right one?

For the device tree I cloned the linux github repo as instructed here and figured that’s the right one (I have an imx8mp without the wifi/bt). Where should I find the TorizonCore 5 device trees?

Thanks

Hey @bengur ,

Ah you’ll notice in the upper right of that webpage there is a “6” this is indicative of the TorizonCore 6. You’ll want to follow in structures for for 5. which can be found here For Torizoncore 5 you can run the torizoncore-builder dt checkout command. I would recommend removing the previously download linux (from the TorizonCore 6 instructions) to avoid confusion on which file is which.

-Eric

1 Like