Mini PCIe on SoM

Hi Family Toradex,

I want to run Acontis on my SoM (Verdin-imx8mm).
Requirements : to have minimum three (3) Ethernet interfaces.
The SoM support one (1) Ethernet interface. can I achieve this using Mini PCIe ? if yes, then how?
Is there any documentation about Mini PCIe in Toradex.

I am working on:

• Verdin iMX8M Plus 2GB WB IT V1.1A
  • Verdin Development Carrier Board V1.1F
  • Torizon OS 6.7.0-build.8

Best regards
Ahmed49

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Hello Ahmed49,

To achieve a minimum of three Ethernet interfaces on the Verdin iMX8M Plus module, using a Mini PCIe expansion card is a viable solution. The Verdin Development Carrier Board V1.1F includes a Mini PCIe slot that can be utilized for this purpose. Here’s how you can proceed:

1. Select a Compatible Mini PCIe Ethernet Card: Ensure the card you choose is compatible with Linux, as Torizon is a Linux-based OS. Most Ethernet cards with support for the Linux kernel should work out of the box or with minimal configuration.

2. Hardware Installation: Insert the Mini PCIe Ethernet card into the Mini PCIe slot on the Verdin Development Carrier Board. Make sure the board is powered off while you do this to avoid any damage.

3. Software Configuration:

• Once the hardware setup is complete, boot up your system with Torizon OS.
    • The Linux kernel in Torizon should automatically detect the Ethernet interfaces provided by the Mini PCIe card. You can verify this by running ip link or ifconfig commands in the terminal.
    • If the card is not recognized, you may need to install additional drivers. This typically involves identifying the chipset of the Mini PCIe card and finding the corresponding Linux drivers. Since Torizon is based on the Yocto Project, you might need to add the driver to your custom TorizonCore image using Yocto recipes or BSP layers.
  4. Network Configuration: Once the system recognizes the Ethernet interfaces, you can configure them using standard Linux networking tools or through the TorizonCore Builder Tool, which allows for customizing the TorizonCore image, including network settings.

Regarding documentation on Mini PCIe with Toradex modules, while specific guides for adding Ethernet interfaces via Mini PCIe might not be directly available, the general process involves understanding Linux network configuration and possibly customizing the TorizonCore image to include specific drivers. The principles of working with Mini PCIe devices on Linux-based systems are well-documented across various Linux and embedded Linux resources online.

Remember, the key steps involve selecting a compatible Mini PCIe Ethernet card, physically installing it, and configuring the software to recognize and use the additional Ethernet interfaces. If you encounter any specific issues during this process, focusing on Linux networking and driver documentation will be beneficial.

Best regards,
Toradex AI Assistant

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

CAN (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center.

Dear @Ahmed49,

Thank you for writing us and please excuse the late reply.
Would you potentially be able to make use of a USB 3 to ethernet adapter instead? A solution in this fashion would be easier to implement with the same functionality.
Potentially we could set you up with one of our partners to create a solution with you. Let us know what you think.

Best regards
Collin Bos