Meta-updater integration for Yocto BSP5 build for Colibri iMX6ULL

Hello!

I have done a BSP5 build with yocto and succesfully integrated our custom company layer for Colibri iMX6ULL. I’m using dunfell branch.

repo init -u https://git.toradex.com/toradex-manifest.git -b dunfell-5.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml

Now, what I am trying to achieve is to integrate meta-updater layer so I can have OStree and can make OTA updates. I don’t need all Torizon features such as docker. I understand that iMX6ULL is not fully supported by Torizon Ecosystem.

The strategy I’m using is to look what is being made on meta-toradex-torizon, all patches, bbappends and etc, and trying to replicate that on my BSP5 build.

I was able to build an image tdx-reference-minimal-image without errors and flash it to imx6ull via EasyInstaller, but when I try to boot the image I get the error:

ERROR: Did not find a cmdline Flattened Device Tree

And it is stuck at “Starting kernel …”

So my question is what may I be missing on integrating meta-updater with BSP5? Maybe something related to device tree or u-boot that TorizonCore does and I’m not doing?

If needed, I can give more information such as my u-boot environment variables, boot messages and etc.

Hi @giobauermeister.

Unfortunately, the integration of OSTree is not easy nor simple.

We suggest you to use as a starting point the TorizonCore, and you can use TorizonCore-Lite as a reference.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Hi giobauermeister
Have you integrate meta-updater to your BSP5 succesfully?
if succes, could you please tell how to do?

Now, I integrate meta-updater to my board: NXP iMX6ULL EMMC 1GB

It hard and not simple.
Maybe You could help me.

Best wishes

Kingdekong

Hello @kingdekong. I moved to another company and unfortunately I’m not working on that anymore since more than a year ago.

Hi @kingdekong !

TorizonCore is currently supported on Colibri iMX6ULL 1GB (eMMC). Maybe you want to test it. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Hello @giobauermeister ,Thank you for your response.
I will do my utmost to do this, although it not easy nor simple.

Thank you!

Hi, @henrique.tx ,Thank you for your response.
I have purchased :Iris Carrier Board V2.0A Colibri and iMX6ULL 1GB IT V1.1A.
But I want to STUDY how to port ostree (meta-updater) to my board: NXP iMX6ULL EMMC 1GB.
Could you give me some help? Such as: web link, document etc. Every resource about porting ostree (meta-updater)

Thank you!

Hi @kingdekong

I see… I don’t think I can help you much…

But, if I was you, I would download TorizonCore layers (you can follow Build Torizon OS from Source With Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded | Toradex Developer Center) and check how it is done there.

Hopefully, it will give you some good pointers.

Best regards,

Hello @kingdekong ,

Do you have any updates on this topic?

Best regards,
Josep