Mender support for Apalis IMX8 (yocto build)

I am trying to build and deploy a Yocto image on the Apalis IMX8 with mender support.

I see that the meta-mender-toradex-nxp layer has support for the verdin-imx8m-mini, but it does not list the Apalis IMX8.

Is there a mender layer available for the Apalis IMX8?

Following the instructions on https://hub.mender.io/t/toradex-verdin-imx8m-mini/2908:

mkdir mender-toradex && cd mender-toradex
repo init -u https://git.toradex.com/toradex-manifest.git \
     -b refs/tags/5.0.0 \
     -m tdxref/default.xml
wget --directory-prefix .repo/local_manifests \
     https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender-community/dunfell/scripts/mender-no-setup-layers.xml
repo sync
. export
echo "BBLAYERS += \" \${TOPDIR}/../layers/meta-mender/meta-mender-core \"" >> conf/bblayers.conf
echo "BBLAYERS += \" \${TOPDIR}/../layers/meta-mender-community/meta-mender-toradex-nxp \"" >> conf/bblayers.conf
cat ../layers/meta-mender-community/templates/local.conf.append >> conf/local.conf
cat ../layers/meta-mender-community/meta-mender-toradex-nxp/templates/local.conf.append >> conf/local.conf

# Edit local.conf, change to MACHINE ?= "apalis-imx8"
# and change all verdin references to apalis

bitbake tdx-reference-minimal-image
ERROR: /home/pagi/mender-toradex/build/../layers/meta-toradex-demos/recipes-images/images/tdx-reference-multimedia-image.bb: Error.  MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_BOOTSECTOR_OFFSET (2) != OFFSET_BOOTROM_PAYLOAD (0)
ERROR: Failed to parse recipe: /home/pagi/mender-toradex/build/../layers/meta-toradex-demos/recipes-images/images/tdx-reference-multimedia-image.bb
ERROR: /home/pagi/mender-toradex/build/../layers/meta-toradex-demos/recipes-images/images/tdx-reference-minimal-image.bb: Error.  MENDER_IMAGE_BOOTLOADER_BOOTSECTOR_OFFSET (2) != OFFSET_BOOTROM_PAYLOAD (0)

Dear @pally

These questions could be better answered by the Mender team, as the meta-mender-toradex-nxp layer is managed by them and they can point out the reasonings clearly.

Could you please reach out to the Mender team in this regards?

Best Regards,
Janani

Hi Janani,

Thanks for the reply. I have reached out to the Mender team. There is a U-boot patch file that does not apply to the latest sources (0001-Integration-of-Mender-boot-code-into-toradex-U-Boot.patch). They have asked me to manually adjust that patch file for the latest sources. I will try to do so.

Regarding the OFFSET variables shown in the error logs above, I can also fix them, but I need to figure out their correct values. Do you have any insight into this?

My conclusion is that the Apalis IMX8 is not currently supported for a Yocto build with Mender enabled, and anyone wishing to do so must manually fix (at least) these two issues. Is that correct?

Best,
Paul

Hello @pally ,

Thank you for the update here from the Mender team. Like I said before, this question would be best answered by the Mender team. And after discussion with them, if you arrived at this conclusion, I would proceed and try it :slight_smile:

BR, Janani

This works now with the latest updates to the mender-community layer.

Please see Toradex Apalis IMX8 Yocto with Mender - Yocto Project - Mender Hub for details.

1 Like