Memory trouble with SoM Verdin IMX8M mini using torizon IDE on vs code

Hello, i am using a Verdin IMX8M mini on my personnal carrier board, everything works fine except i have some memory problem with my SoM.

I use the “light” version with 4GB flash memory and i can’t deploy my python program because of

1 error occurred: * failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): write /usr/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-lto-dump-12: no space left on device

I did modify my torizon os image in order to multiplex some pins of my SoM :

input:
easy-installer:
local: images/torizon-core-docker-verdin-imx8mm-Tezi_6.4.0+build.5.tar
customization:
splash-screen: he-arc-splash-screen.png
device-tree:
# >> Directories where to look for include files.
include-dirs:
- linux/include/
# >> Custom device tree source:
custom: linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mm-verdin-nonwifi-dev.dts
# >> Device-tree overlays configuration:
overlays:
add:
- device-trees/overlays/verdin-imx8mm_spidev_overlay.dts #ajout de spidev
- device-trees/overlays/verdin-imx8mm_disable_can1.dts
- device-trees/overlays/verdin-imx8mm_extra_gpios_overlay.dts #ma modif du device tree
output:
easy-installer:
# >> Output directory of the customized image (REQUIRED):
local: torizon-core-docker-verdin-imx8mm-Tezi_6.4.0.CUSTOM6>

if i use the command “df” on my SoM :<

df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 498592 19708 478884 4% /run
devtmpfs 474312 0 474312 0% /dev
/dev/disk/by-label/otaroot 3616848 3210140 202524 95% /sysroot
tmpfs 498592 0 498592 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 4096 0 4096 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 498596 0 498596 0% /tmp
tmpfs 498592 8 498584 1% /var/volatile
tmpfs 99716 0 99716 0% /run/user/1000>

and if i try to see which container / images are using my memory with :

docker ps -a --size
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES SIZE
037acdd28040 torizon/weston-vivante “/usr/bin/entry.sh” 8 minutes ago Created torizon-weston-1 0B (virtual 515MB)
71f47f8bea0a portainer/portainer-ce “/portainer --templa…” 8 minutes ago Created torizon-portainer-1 0B (virtual 267MB)>

if i try :

docker images
REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE
torizon/weston-vivante 9d4b328d55ca 4 months ago 515MB
portainer/portainer-ce ada025d39772 10 months ago 267MB
torizon/chromium cb7ac4913734 16 months ago 609MB>

i can’t understand why i have those 3 images : weston-vivante + portainer-ce + chromium, i don’t need them and i don’t know how they allways come back on my SoM.

I use the template of an python application proveded by you, i am just trying to use some I/O, PWM, SPI etc…

i know that i took the torizon OS with example containers when i first installed my SoM OS but since i created a personnalized images with torizonCore builder and deployed sucessfully on my SoM it should have remplaced it ?

Thank your for your help !

Greetings @autolab,

i can’t understand why i have those 3 images : weston-vivante + portainer-ce + chromium, i don’t need them and i don’t know how they allways come back on my SoM.

The issue here is you’re running the Torizon OS image with evaluation containers as you said. This image has a docker-compose.yml file at /var/sota/storage/docker-compose/docker-compose.yml. There is an accompanying systemd service (docker-compose.service), that starts the containers defined in this file on boot. For the evaluation set of containers this would be the weston-vivante + portainer-ce + chromium containers that you’ve noted. This is why these containers and their images persist.

Okay so here are your options:

• Remove the evaluation containers and images from the device. Remove the evaluation docker-compose file at /var/sota/storage/docker-compose/docker-compose.yml. This way the evaluation container images won’t be re-pulled onto the device on future boots when the systemd service runs.
  • Use the Torizon OS image without evaluation containers. This image is basically the exact same it’s just missing the evaluation docker-compose file. That way you don’t have to worry about the evaluation containers at all while developing.

i know that i took the torizon OS with example containers when i first installed my SoM OS but since i created a personnalized images with torizonCore builder and deployed sucessfully on my SoM it should have remplaced it ?

So the question here is how did you deploy your custom image exactly? Did you flash the image with Toradex Easy Installer? Or, did you deploy the custom image via network with TorizonCore Builder?

If you flashed with Easy Installer, then there should no be docker-compose.yml file at /var/sota/storage/docker-compose/docker-compose.yml. Since I can see from your tcbuild.yml that you didn’t add your own compose file.

If you instead deployed your image via network deployment. Then whatever compose file was already on your system would not have been overwritten. This sounds like what happened here.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you a lot for the quick answer.

I will remove the docker-compose.yml file like you said.

I did deploy the image via network with TorizonCore Builder so it seem logic the docker file is still there.

Best Regards

Glad I was able to help!