Maximum total resolution Colibri T20

Dear community.

I am a bit confused regarding the maximal total display resolution on Colibri T20 when running Linux.

In [1] it is stated that the maximum is 2048x2048 and that it is a hardware limitation. I accept that :).

In [2] there is a video demo (at the bottom of the page) that runs a dual-screen setup (1080p on both VGA and HDMI) on a Colibri T20 running Windows. Whaat? :slight_smile:

Does anyone have a good explanation to this? Where is the limitation of the 2048 pixels on Linux?

[1]. High performance, low power Embedded Computing Systems | Toradex Developer Center

[2]. How to setup dual display on T20 and T30 | Toradex Developer Center

Hi Mirza

Nothing to be confused about. The limitation actually has to do with OpenGL ES surfaces as far as I recall. The way NVIDIA implemented their X driver and OpenGL ES on top of it one is bound to this limitation. However nobody stops you from running one of them display interfaces outside of X (e.g. just using the raw framebuffer directly or one of them video overlays). That way even with Linux one can output dual full HD content. Alternatively one can run NVIDIA’s proprietary X driver in mirror mode which BTW is the default but then of course both displays/screens will show identical content.

Cheers

Marcel

Platform Manager Embedded Linux