Maximum temperature of iMX7S

What’s the maximum operating temperature of the Colibri iMX7s? According to the datasheet it is 85°C but there is a footnote that I don’t understand. The footnote says “Depending on cooling solution.”.

Is the internal temperature that I can read from the SoC the one that should not exceed 85°C? Or is 85°C the maximum ambient temperature and the internal temperature may even be higher?

Best regards,
Michael

Maximum allowed die temperature is 95°C. When temperature of SOC die reach 83°C OS starts CPU throttling to prevent overheating. When die temperature reach that 95°C - OS initiates emergency shutdown. In case of low to moderate CPU load difference between die temp and SOC surface temp is around 10-15°C

Thanks for the detailed answer. The temperature that I read (according to High performance, low power Embedded Computing Systems | Toradex Developer Center) is the die temperature, right?
Best regards,
Michael

Yes, this is the CPU temperature as stated here.
Best regards, Jaski

Hello @alex.tx

I have a follow-up question:

I saw the following change in the BSP v2.8 release: Toradex System/Computer on Modules - Linux BSP Release

Does that mean it is save to operate the iMX7s up to 105°C. Is this the new maximum allowed die temperature? What is the reason that the thresholds were changed? Are all the imx7s Colibri modules rated the same or is there a new category of higher temperature modules?

Best regards,
Michael

According to NXP datasheet maximum allowed junction temperature is 105C. So after testing we adjusted critical shutdown temperature to be on par with NXP recommendation.