LXDE or XFCE lightweight desktop on Torizon Core

Is there a way to load an ‘LXDE or XFCE’ like lightweight desktop on the torizon core OS? I am new to the torizon OS.

Details of the OS below

Linux colibri-imx6-10570316 5.4.43-4.0.0-devel+git.ed141ad4be96 #1-TorizonCore SMP Wed Jul 1 16:19:28 UTC 2020 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Greetings @cdevasia,

Early on in the days of Torizon we actually use to have LXDE based container images rather than the weston-wayland ones we have now. I’ll see if I can dig up and find those. However at this point they’re probably rather untested.

May I ask why you’re specifically looking for a LXDE/X-based environment? Would the weston-wayland stack we have currently not suffice for your requirements? If not do you mind telling me more about your project/requirements.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Actually, I am not specifically looking for LXDE/X based environment. Any desktop like environment will do.
I am looking for a way to display useful data directly from the iMX6 to a monitor with a simple UI.

In the Yocto based (Angstrom) standard distribution I could use systemctl to start/stop the lxdm service. Is there an equivalent command to enable the weston-wayland desktop or does that need a new image? I am currently using the standard TorizonCore image from the site.

Maybe as a start you can try our Debian bases weston-wayland containers as described here: Debian Containers for Torizon | Toradex Developer Center

This should guide you in bringing up a Desktop-like environment. As for your requirements, it sounds like you just need a simple UI tool, and not necessarily an entire desktop environment. For example we have some samples/templates on making simple UIs with Torizon like here:

Or if you require more complex/fleshed out UIs then we have compatible solutions from partners like Crank:

In any case let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Jeremias