Issue in adding MAX14830

HI,
i am getting below error in bootup.

Hi

i am getting this message in kernal bootup

[ 1.580120] debugfs: Directory ‘spi0.0’ with parent ‘regmap’ already present!
[ 1.587349] debugfs: Directory ‘spi0.0’ with parent ‘regmap’ already present!
[ 1.594499] debugfs: Directory ‘spi0.0’ with parent ‘regmap’ already present!
[ 1.602007] spi0.0: ttyMAX0 at I/O 0x0 (irq = 306, base_baud = 2764800) is a MAX14830
[ 1.622747] spi0.0: ttyMAX1 at I/O 0x1 (irq = 306, base_baud = 2764800) is a MAX14830
[ 1.636090] spi0.0: ttyMAX2 at I/O 0x2 (irq = 306, base_baud = 2764800) is a MAX14830
[ 1.649483] spi0.0: ttyMAX3 at I/O 0x3 (irq = 306, base_baud = 2764800) is a MAX14830

my doubt is how to reslove this [ 1.580120] debugfs: Directory ‘spi0.0’ with parent ‘regmap’ already present!

and other thing is still there is no device found under /dev for MAX, i expect that there should be /ttyMAX0 to /ttyMAX3

correct me if i am wrong.

and how to transmit and receive data using max14830

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Hello,

The message you’re seeing, [ 1.580120] debugfs: Directory ‘spi0.0’ with parent ‘regmap’ already present!, typically indicates that the kernel is attempting to create a debugfs directory for an SPI device that already exists. This situation is often benign and can be a result of the way the driver initializes and registers itself with the debug filesystem. Unless it’s accompanied by functional issues or other error messages, it might not require action. However, if you’re concerned about potential conflicts or want to clean up the log, you might consider reviewing the driver’s initialization code to ensure it’s only attempting to create the directory once or checking if it exists before creating it.

Regarding the absence of /dev/ttyMAX* devices, this issue suggests that the MAX14830 driver is not correctly registering the device nodes with the system. To troubleshoot this, consider the following steps:

1. Ensure the Driver is Loaded: Verify that the MAX14830 driver is correctly loaded into the kernel. You can check this by looking at the output of lsmod or checking dmesg for any driver-related messages after boot.

2. Device Tree Configuration: Ensure that the MAX14830 is correctly described in your device tree. This includes setting up the SPI bus and specifying the correct chip select, as well as any necessary GPIOs for interrupts or reset lines. The device tree entry should match the physical wiring and the expected configuration of the MAX14830 chip.

3. Kernel Configuration: Make sure that your kernel is configured with support for the MAX14830. This includes enabling the driver in the kernel configuration (make menuconfig), typically found under the SPI or serial device sections.

4. Permissions: Once the device nodes appear under /dev, ensure that your user has the necessary permissions to access them. This might require adjusting udev rules or permissions.

5. Testing Communication: For transmitting and receiving data using the MAX14830, you can use standard serial port tools like minicom, screen, or picocom. Ensure you configure the tool with the correct baud rate and serial settings matching your application’s requirements. For example, to open a connection with minicom, you would use a command like minicom -D /dev/ttyMAX0 -b 115200, adjusting the device and baud rate as necessary.

If after these steps the device nodes still do not appear, it may be useful to enable additional kernel debugging for the SPI and

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

U-Boot | Toradex Developer Center.

can you provide a device tree node for adding MAX14830 with mcu_gpio1 as a interrupt source with falling edge?

Hi @naveenkumar.muthusam,

Can you please share changes you have done in device tree to further check.
Additionally please share your connections details.

Also please check similar post below

We have not tested particular chip at our end so we request you share all details so that we can provide appropriate suggestion.

Best regards
Ritesh Kumar