Is it necessary to build a custom kernel to add remoteproc kernel module to m4 core of colibri vf61

Is it necessary to build a custom kernel to add remoteproc kernel module to m4 core of colibri vf61. As mentioned in “FreeRTOS on the Cortex-M4 of a Colibri VF61 | Toradex Developer Center” how can we load the remoteproc kernel modules to the colibri vf61.

hello sreemadhav, what is your question? what do you want to do exactly?

hi @jaski.tx

I want to use free rtos on cortex m4 of colibri vf61. I’m currently using the method of " booting from linux " as mentioned in the website “FreeRTOS on the Cortex-M4 of a Colibri VF61 | Toradex Developer Center”. But on doing this as per the site (To start Cortex-M4 using remoteproc, deploy the .elf to ‘/lib/firmware’ directory and load the remoteproc kernel modules). I had already loaded the .elf file to the ‘/lib/firmware’ location. But what does it mean to “load the remoteproc kernel modules” How can I load the remoteproc kernel modules?

hi, to load the remoterproc you need to flash a BSP with image higher than v2.6.1 and do the following:

deploy the .elf to ‘/lib/firmware’ directory and load the remoteproc kernel modules. To auto load the remoteproc driver during boot, manually add vf610_cm4_rproc.conf file in ‘/etc/modules-load.d/’ with the remoteproc driver vf610_cm4_rproc specified in the conf file.

Then the remoteproc kernel modules will loaded automatically.

hi @jaski.tx

As you said, I had deployed the .elf to ‘/lib/firmware’ directory. Also add the vf610_cm4_rproc.conf file in ‘/etc/modules-load.d/’ using the command echo vf610_cm4_rproc > vf610_cm4_rproc.conf . Then after typing the command dmesg|grep remoteproc there is no response. Is there any other step that I need to do? Also I had build the image again by adding KERNEL_MODULE_AUTOLOAD in conf/local.conf. My '/etc/modules-load.d/vf610_cm4_rproc.conf file is attached below. Please go through it.

link text

hi @jaski.tx

I’m using BSP image v2.6. How can I update it to v2.6.1? Is 2.6.1 necessary to load the remoterproc?

I saw you asked a new question.