Integrate RAID solution on the Mallow board?

Hello,

I am working on a program that will make sure of one of the Verdin series SOMs (not sure which yet) potentially paired with the Mallow carrier board. I need to have RAID1 (mirrored) support. I’m curious if anyone has any experience with compatible RAID hardware. A couple options I see are

1. Use one of the several M.2 to SATA adapters that integrate hardware RAID. These typically come in a B+M key configuration. This would hopefully allow use of the Mallow board’s existing M.2 connection without any modification.
  2. Integrate a PCIe connector in place of the M.2 connector and use a compatible RAID card.
  3. Integrate a hardware RAID solution on the Mallow board and bring out two SATA connectors to allow connection of SSDs.

Has anyone implemented this on a carrier board? I’d definitely like to understand if anyone has any experience with any of the existing M.2 form factor boards that have hardware RAID and bring out SATA connections.

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Hello,

I understand you’re exploring RAID1 support options for a project involving the Verdin series SOM and potentially the Mallow carrier board.

For RAID1 integration with the Mallow carrier board, here are some considerations based on your options:

1. Using M.2 to SATA adapters with hardware RAID: This is a viable solution that leverages the existing M.2 connection on the Mallow board. It’s important to ensure that the adapter is compatible with the board’s M.2 interface specifications. The Mallow board supports an M.2 E-key interface, primarily designed for wireless modules, so you’ll need to verify if the adapter can fit both physically and functionally. Most M.2 to SATA RAID adapters are designed for B-key or B+M key interfaces, typically used for storage. This discrepancy means direct compatibility might not be straightforward without modifications, which are not recommended.

2. Integrating a PCIe connector in place of the M.2 connector: This approach requires significant hardware modifications to the carrier board, which falls outside of recommended practices. Altering the board to replace the M.2 connector with a PCIe connector for RAID card compatibility is not advisable without thorough understanding and expertise in hardware design and the potential impact on the board’s functionality and warranty.

3. Integrating a hardware RAID solution on the carrier board: Designing a custom solution that includes a hardware RAID controller and additional SATA connectors directly on a new carrier board design is the most integrated approach but also the most complex. It requires extensive hardware development expertise and understanding of the Verdin module’s interfaces and capabilities. This option allows for the most customization and potentially the best performance but involves significant development time and costs.

For projects requiring RAID1 support without extensive hardware modifications, exploring external RAID solutions that can interface with the board through available ports (e.g., USB, if speed requirements are met) might be a simpler and more feasible approach. Additionally, software RAID configurations using Linux mdadm tools could be considered, although this may not meet all performance or reliability requirements compared to hardware RAID solutions.

It’s crucial to carefully evaluate the project’s requirements against the complexity and feasibility of each option. For hardware RAID integration, consulting with a hardware engineer experienced in custom carrier board designs for embedded systems is recommended to ensure compatibility, reliability, and performance objectives are met.

Best regards,
Toradex AI Assistant

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

TPM Reference Design | Toradex Developer Center.

How did you like my response?

:+1: :-1:

The ToradexAI Assistant thinks that the Mallow board has a E Key M.2 connector but the connector part number and silkscreen indicate B Key. Which is right?

Please note that although the Mallow carrier board includes a PCIe M.2 (Key B) interface, none of the Verdin family modules have SATA functionality. You can use NVMe SSD drives with the Mallow board. Could you please provide more insight into your requirements related to RAID? Understanding your initial requirements better will help us suggest a more appropriate solution.