Installing jdk on imx6 with linux

This may be a stupid question, but it is one I am struggling with non the less. I need to install the oracle arm jdk 8 on my colibri imx6 SoM. I have the tarball downloaded and I extracted it. What do I do next? All the information I found online said that the one command extracted and installed, but java is still an unrecognized command, so there is a step i’m missing.

Thank you for the help.

And you added the Java binaries to the path and they have proper execute permissions?

So there is a path environment variable that I need to add the path to my binaries to? See I get confused with the toradex image since your standard operating directory is root, and I/m used to ubuntu or fedora where you have java in a lower directory than the user is typically working in.

So there is a path environment variable that I need to add the path to my binaries to?

Well, yes. Just like on any unix system really. If you are not familiar with such concepts may I suggest for you to attend some training or read a book about the topic.

See I get confused with the toradex image since your standard operating directory is root,

You mean the home directory. I don’t think one usually wants to install stuff in there.

and I/m used to ubuntu or fedora where you have java in a lower directory than the user is typically working in.

While we are not affiliated with Oracle in any way I assume you may install their Java more or less wherever you like.

Hey, I know I probably sound stupid and what I am saying doesn’t really make sense, but I am not a unix guru. I have used the OS for school stuff, but I haven’t ever really dug into it. And this embedded image that the easy installer put on there is way different from anything I have used before. All I need is an easy answer to how I can get java running because right now it doesn’t.

Hello @LTorg

I’ll try to help…
There is a PATH variable in all unix systems. This variable holds a bunch of directories. If you type a command, your OS will search for this command in the directories given by PATH.

To see what’s in PATH: echo $PATH

Then there was the question where to install your java. I’d suggest to create a folder called java-[yourversion] in /opt. (see this link that describes opt).

In the extracted java-folder there probably is a folder called bin (for binaries). If you find the java binary in there then you have to add it to the PATH variable:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/java-[yourversion]/bin

The binaries have to be executable, check with ls -l. If they are not executable (look for an x in rwxrwxrwx) you can make them executable with the command chmod +x [yourbinary]

After all this answer assumes you have downloaded the correct binary for ARM.

Thank you, This helped. I Have actually worked with the Path variable before, I just got myself confused in frustration because things did not look how I expected them to. But moving to the /opt folder and setting up PATH then worked.

Perfect that it works. Thanks for the feedback.