Install Spidev library on Toradex Verdin IMX8M Plus

Hello,

I’d like to install the “spidev” python library on Toradex Verdin IMX8M Plus. However, the following error message appears.

How do I install this library?

Thanks

Hello @Nahel_V ,
You are trying to install spidev package directly on the OS which is not the way to go with TorizonCore, as it is based on containers.

You should run Python in a container, and from there install the necessary packages, as explained here:

(It is for TC 5 but should be applicable to TC 6 too)

Best regards,
Josep

Thank you for your previous reply.

When I execute the command ls -l /dev/spi* I only see spidev0.0, and I would also like to have spidev1.0, spidev1.1, spidev2.1

Here is my Dockerfile for using the spidev library :

I use the commands :

docker build -t bforcure:1.0.1 .
docker run -it --device /dev/spidev0.0 bforcure:1.0.1

Thanks
Nahel

Hi @Nahel_V !

Actually, this doesn’t happen by default. If you want to use the other (non-standard) SPI interfaces of Verdin iMX8M Plus, you need to enable them. Please refer to the following article and datasheet to learn more about the standard interfaces of Verdin Family.

Verdin Family specification might be useful here as well:

To enable the other SPI interfaces, you will need to customize your device tree (or create and apply a device tree overlay). We have some nice articles about device trees and customization. E.g.:

Best regards,

Thank you for your reply,

I don’t really understand what needs to be changed in the device tree and where to activate the other spidev.

Would it be possible to exchange information by telephone?
If possible, could you leave me your phone number.
Thank you.

Hi @Nahel_V !

If you are getting started with device trees, I would recommend you to go through Toradex’s documentation about Device Trees

https://developer.toradex.com/software/linux-resources/device-tree/

The extra resources by the end of this article are also really helpful (especially the application note from NXP)

Also, Toradex has a good selection of On-Demand webinars about Device Trees. It will most probably help you to understand how device trees work :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Hello @Nahel_V ,

Do you have any updates on this topic?

Best regards,
Josep