Inquiry Regarding Power Consumption for Eye Tracker Project using Verdin iMX8M Plus or AM62

Verdin iMX8M Plus
Verdin AM62

Dear Toradex Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently exploring the feasibility of developing an eye tracker application using Verdin iMX8M Plus or AM62 for a project. Before delving deeper into the technical implementation, I would like to inquire about the power consumption requirements of such a project.

The project involves the active utilization of several components, including the TPU (Tensor Processing Unit), the processor, a camera, infrared LEDs, and a potential USB connection for data transfer to a computer. Specifically, the goal is to develop an eye tracker capable of moving the mouse cursor on a PC screen according to the user’s gaze.

To achieve this, the project will entail two distinct phases of operation:

1. Image Capture Phase: During this phase, the camera and infrared LEDs will be utilized to capture an image of the user’s eyes and surrounding area.
  2. Processing Phase: Subsequently, the captured image will be processed using the TPU and processor to determine the user’s point of gaze on the screen. The processed data will then be transmitted to the computer, possibly via a USB connection.

Given these operational requirements, I am interested in understanding whether it would be feasible to power the entire system via USB 3.0, with a maximum current draw of 900mA.

Could you please provide insights into whether Verdin iMX8M Plus or AM62 can support such a project within the specified power constraints? Additionally, any recommendations or considerations regarding power management for this application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to your response and further discussions on this matter.

Best regards,
Lia Gomez

The power consumption details for the Verdin AM61 and Verdin iMX8M Plus can be found in the links provided below. The peak power consumption of the Verdin AM62 Dual 1GB IT is approximately 3 Watts. Therefore, the 4.5 Watts available from the USB 3 should suffice to power it, assuming that your custom carrier board, camera, and infrared LEDs together consume no more than 1.5 Watts. Additionally, it’s advisable to select a high-efficiency buck converter for your custom carrier board to ensure optimal power management.

Thank you!