Imx8x colibri: uboot failure when booting from mmc1

Colibri iMX8X # version
U-Boot 2022.04-6.4.0+git.dc27426aa417 (Jan 01 1970 - 00:00:00 +0000)

aarch64-tdx-linux-gcc (GCC) 11.4.0
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.38.20220708
Colibri iMX8X #

This version of uboot was installed using TEZI and it boots the containerless image also installed using tezi.
I have a uSD card which boots using a different version of u-boot, but when I run

run bootcmd_mmc1

I get the following failure:

Colibri iMX8X # run bootcmd_mmc1
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc1 is current device
Scanning mmc 1:1…
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
5754 bytes read in 3 ms (1.8 MiB/s)

Executing script at 9d480000

Loading DeviceTree: imx8qxp-colibri-eval-v3.dtb
126986 bytes read in 9 ms (13.5 MiB/s)
142 bytes read in 3 ms (45.9 KiB/s)
Applying Overlay: colibri-imx8x_parallel-rgb_overlay.dtbo
1498 bytes read in 4 ms (365.2 KiB/s)
Applying Overlay: colibri-imx8x_ad7879_overlay.dtbo
403 bytes read in 3 ms (130.9 KiB/s)
Applying Overlay: display-vga_overlay.dtbo
831 bytes read in 4 ms (202.1 KiB/s)
Applying Overlay: colibri-imx8_pps_overlay.dtbo
478 bytes read in 4 ms (116.2 KiB/s)
10788986 bytes read in 451 ms (22.8 MiB/s)
Error: inflate() returned -3
Booting from mmc failed!
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing…
Colibri iMX8X #

This boots fine using another version of uboot, on the same board. I have tried searching for problems like this but can’t find any help diagnosing or fixing the problem.

Can tech support look into this?

thanks, and best regards
    Nick Caruso, ThayerMahan

Greetings @nccaruso,

Not sure if I fully understand so maybe you can clarify some things here.

Okay so you have version U-Boot 2022.04-6.4.0+git.dc27426aa417 installed. You are trying to boot an image off an SD card. Could you provide details on this other image that’s on the SD card?

You say that this works fine with “another version” of uboot. Could you specify what this other version of U-boot is?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Yes, sorry, that was vague. That version of uboot is installed by using TEZI to install
the Toradex Embedded Linux Reference Minimal Image image called 5.7.2+build.21 (2023-02-22)
– that is the version of uboot which loads our image successfully. I was wondering if this was a known issue – I would be happy to modify our image to work with the newer version of uboot (which I got by installing the “containerless” torizon image.)

It sounds like you’re possible mixing and matching U-Boot versions with other Image versions.

I would be happy to modify our image to work with the newer version of uboot (which I got by installing the “containerless” torizon image.)

What version of the Torizon OS image is this based on?

So in summary if you have U-Boot 5.7.2 on the device it should only be used to boot images that are also 5.7.2, or 5.X in general. If you have U-Boot 6.X then that should only be used to boot images that are 6.X. Don’t mix and match, we have found this doesn’t work in many cases and in the cases it does “work” there were strange behaviors found.

Again though this depends on what version of the OS you have on this SD card.

Best Regards,
Jeremias