Imx8x (01.B) in meta-mender-toradex-nxp

Hi,

Please officially request Mr drewmoseley to place the imx8x-Colibri, MODULO 01.B (Carrier board= Viola Plus) to place this device in meta-mender-toradex-nxp so that I can have the latest Yocto possible and kernel 5.16 (Or higher) on my Device

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Hello,

For integrating Mender with Toradex devices, specifically the Colibri iMX8X and using a Yocto-based approach, it’s important to follow a structured method. The request to include support for a specific module version, like the Colibri iMX8X 1.0B, in the meta-mender-toradex-nxp layer for compatibility with the latest Yocto release and a newer kernel version, involves several steps and considerations.

Firstly, the meta-mender-toradex-nxp layer is part of the community-supported layers for integrating Mender, an open-source update manager for embedded devices, with Toradex’s NXP-based modules. This integration allows for secure and robust over-the-air (OTA) updates.

Given the context, it’s important to note that the official support for specific hardware versions and the inclusion of these in community layers like meta-mender-toradex-nxp are subject to the community maintainers’ decisions and the compatibility of the hardware with the desired software versions. The Colibri iMX8X V1.0B, as mentioned, has specific support considerations that need to be addressed.

For achieving the latest Yocto release and kernel version support on your device, here are some general guidelines:

1. Compatibility Check: Ensure that the Colibri iMX8X V1.0B module’s hardware specifications and the Viola Plus carrier board are compatible with the desired Yocto release and kernel version. This involves checking processor capabilities, driver support, and any specific hardware dependencies.

2. Community Layer Updates: Engaging with the community maintainers, such as through GitHub issues or pull requests, is a key step. While direct requests for specific changes can be made, it’s also beneficial to contribute by testing and providing feedback or patches.

3. Yocto Project Customization: Customizing your Yocto build for the Colibri iMX8X can include adding or modifying layers, recipes, and configurations to support the newer kernel and any device-specific requirements. This might involve kernel configuration changes, backporting drivers, or adjusting recipes for compatibility.

4. Testing and Validation: Rigorous testing is crucial when integrating newer software versions with hardware, especially for OTA update mechanisms like Mender. This ensures that updates can be safely and reliably deployed to devices in the field.

5. Documentation and Support: Utilize available documentation and community forums for guidance and troubleshooting. While direct support from Tor

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

https://developer.toradex.com/linux-bsp/application-development/gui/partner-demo-image-qt-for-device-creation-boot-to-qt.

Hi @neuberfran ,

The Colibri iMX8X version 1.0B was part of an early access program as described here. This version is not commercialized more by Toradex so we won’t be able to fulfill your request.

Feel free to contact one of our local offices and purchase the latest version of Colibri iMX8.

Best regards,
Daniel Morais