IMX8QP 2GB WB V1.1B rootfs update

I am attempting to install a new rootfs update on my existing image build. Here are the image details:

Image: tdx-reference-multimedia-image
Distro: tdx-xwayland
Kernel: Linux apalis-imx8 5.4.91-5.2.0-devel+git.590db576d04d #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 2 16:38:41 UTC 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I have the eMMC partitioned this way:

BOOT: mounted at mmcblk0p1
RFS1: mounted at mmcblk0p2 (active rootfs partition)
RFS2: mounted at mmcblk0p3 (alternate rootfs partition)
DATA: mounted at mmcblk0p4

The image builds just fine via Yocto with no issues. I copied the rootfs.tar.bz2 file over to the SOM, mounted RFS2 (the alternate rootfs) on /mnt/rootfs, and unzipped the rootfs update to /mnt/rootfs.

When I reboot, I get the following errors during the boot sequence:

Starting Load Kernel Modules...
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start Load default USB gadget schema g1.schema.
See 'systemctl status usbg.service' for details.
[FAILED] Failed to start DNS forwarder and DHCP server.
See 'systemctl status dnsmasq.service' for details.

When I examine ‘systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service’, I get the following:

Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd[1]: Starting Load Kernel Modules...
Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd-modules-load[474]: Failed to lookup module alias 'galcore': Function not implemented
Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd-modules-load[474]: Failed to lookup module alias 'libcomposite': Function not implemented
Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 08 15:10:35 apalis-imx8 systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

Any thoughts? The results of not being able to load any kernel are quite bad, as you might imagine. For example, the wifi driver module doesn’t load since no modules are loaded. This is the output of lsmod:

root@apalis-imx8:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
root@apalis-imx8:~# 

? Full dmesg attached here: dmesg.txt

Apparently something wrong with your rootfs image. I’d recommend to build an updated image with a single rootfs as it described here. Then flash it using Toradex Easy Installer. If it work correctly you can modify json file to make Toradex Easy Installer flash two copies of rootfs.