iMX8 LVDS Display Circuit

Hi team,
I am developing a product with a LVDS display using iMX8. This is the reference schematic I get from Apalis Carrier Board Design Guide (https://docs.toradex.com/101123-apalis-arm-carrier-board-design-guide.pdf)
The connector (DF13A-40DP-1.25v) shown in the schematic already discontinued. Do you have any other proposed connector that I can use?
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/ffc_fpc_connectors/5039084120
Can I use with this connector?

Besides, we are planning to use with this display but the pinout does not seems like matching

Is iMX8 compatible with this LCD Display?

Hi @Jing_Wen , thanks for reaching out.

We’ll get back to you regarding the discontinued LVDS connector. If that is the case, we should update our documentation (!).

As for the compatibility, I can see that the 4 differential lanes are there: In our guide, we call them LVDS_X_TX# +/-, but here it is basically IPS-TD P/N#. Should be similar. However, I’m a bit lost with the rest of the signals and I’m missing some extra info, but as you can see the main signals of our display are the differential lines, power, I2C signals for the touchscreen and 2 extra signals for the backlight. Not much.

Definitely, I would ask the manufacturer of the display for more extra info on the signals but hopefully, most of them are enables that you can to VCC or GND. Otherwise, you might have to spend extra development time to use the display.

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

Hi again @Jing_Wen , I’ve just confirmed that this component EOL is tracked and that we have a replacement available: DF13EA-40DP-1.25V(52), which is basically the same than the former but with different package. We still have to update the documentation, sorry for that.

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

Thanks for the reply @alvaro.tx ! However, I checked the connector but it is very new and we cannot find any stock in market. Do you still have any ready-in-market candidate or the one we proposed (https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/ffc_fpc_connectors/5039084120) can be used?

Hi @Jing_Wen , unfortunately we don’t have an alternative since we just moved to the newer option suggested by the manufacturer… I was checking your suggestion but unless I’m missing something… it looks like our DF13EA-40DP-1.25V has 1.25mm pitch, while your suggestion has 0.50mm pitch. Could it be?

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

We have no experience with that connector but according to its datasheet it looks OK. It’s not mechanically compatible with connector we suggested so you will not be able to plug Toradex provided LVDS displays. The display you going to use also looks OK though there are no details about touch controller. So it’s not clear which driver you need to use or integrate.

Hi @alex.tx , is this the LVDS display that compatible with Apalis iMX8?

Do you have a 7" version of this? Since this is in 10.1" size.

Hi, I missed out the info stated in the website that this display is compatible with Apalis imx8, so please ignore my previous question on the compatibility.

However, I noticed that the pinout in reference schematic is different with the pinout of this display, as shown:
In reference schematic of Apalis Carrier Board Design Guide:

In datasheet of the display (https://docs.toradex.com/105952-10-1-inch-lvds-capacitive-touch-display-1280x800-datasheet.pdf):

Can anyone explained to me on this? Thank you very much

Hi @Jing_Wen , good point… I can’t explain this either. I’ve pinged my HW colleages, please wait a little longer. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

Sorry to keep you waiting @Jing_Wen , I’ve checked this and the solution is quite simple: There is a cable (included with the LVDS display if you buy it from us) that adapts the display PCB to the Toradex 40-pin LVDS standard that you find in our carrier boards. Basically, you should only worry about the standard Toradex 40-pin LVDS standard in your carrier board if you plan to buy the display from us.

BTW, answering your previous question, I’m afraid this is the only LVDS display we have. There are other alternatives, inclduing a 7" version, but use a parallel RGB-CMOS connection (not available on the Apalis iMX8)

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

Thanks @alvaro.tx for the answer! This is what I have understood from the reply

And I just need to take care on the LVDS connector on the Apalis imx8 Carrier Board if we are using the display from Toradex right? Because I am confused on the LVDS connector that on Carrier Board has 2 channels of LVDS (seems like a Dual-Channel LVDS) but the PCB on 10.1" Screen only using Single channel of it only, and this is what I get from Carrier Board Design Guide:

Do I need to disable one of the channel on Carrier Board?

Hi @Jing_Wen

And I just need to take care on the LVDS connector on the Apalis imx8 Carrier Board if we are using the display from Toradex right?

Correct. The PCB basically handles everything. Just a small correction: the 42 pin is an internal connector of the display. The other end of the cable is connected to the PCB but to a 30 pin connector called CON4-INPUT.

Sincerely, I would completely forget about the existence of the 42 pin connector mentioned on the display datasheet.

Because I am confused on the LVDS connector that on Carrier Board has 2 channels of LVDS (seems like a Dual-Channel LVDS) but the PCB on 10.1" Screen only using Single channel of it only,

This is only because the Apalis interface for LVDS, has support for dual channel. Of course, single channel also works.

Do I need to disable one of the channel on Carrier Board?

No, single-channel works out of the box. In your own carrier board you can design for single-channel (with a less pins connector) if that works for you :slight_smile: (or maintain the Apalis standard with the 40 pin and dual-channel-capable connector :+1: )

Kind regards,
Alvaro.

1 Like

Noted. Thanks @alvaro.tx !

Hi @alvaro.tx , another follow up question:
What are the usage of these 2 inputs? Can I connect it to a fixed voltage instead of using switch (JP1 and JP2) to control it?

Of course: It is actually recommended to check your display requirements before starting the design and then, design accordingly :wink: The jumper option gives more options but you might not need that with your display.

1 Like

What is the exact use case of connect the 2 SEL1 and SEL2 ya? Because from the display datasheet that provided by Toradex (https://docs.toradex.com/105952-10-1-inch-lvds-capacitive-touch-display-1280x800-datasheet.pdf pg6)

The pin 31 and 33 of CN2 are not connecting to anywhere of CN1.

For compatibility. Some displays might need certain voltage or certain setting on those pins. It is not the case for the 10.1" display.

1 Like