IMX6ULL NXP proprietary driver

Hello,
I’m trying to use NXP proprietary driver as explained in GitHub - toradex/meta-toradex-wifi: This repository contains recipes and meta-data to integrated the NXP proprietary wireless drivers (also called mlan or the C-Driver) into the Toradex BSP for SOMs containing the Azurewave 88W8997 chip. . But I cannot find the zip file inside NXP website (SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8997-U16-MMC-W16.68.10.p162-16.26.10.p162-C4X16693_V4-MGPL.zip). They say that I should get the driver from another specific github repository, but there isn’t the expected file. (I not sure if I can public share the NXP repository link)

What are the exactly files that I should use? Which files I should group in a zip file to follow the tutorial? Could Toradex update the tutorial?

Thank you,
Ricardo.

Hi @rfantin,

first, welcome to our community! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Regarding your question, I found the file inside https://www.nxp.com/mynxp/library:

Is this file that you’re looking for?

Here is the link: SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8997-U16-MMC-W16.68.10.p162-16.26.10.p162-C4X16693_V4-MGPL

I guess you found the other file needed for the Manufacturing mode, but if you need it, here is the link: MFG- W8997- MF- LABTOOL- U14-1.1.0.164- A1- 16.80.205.p164

Please, use these files that I sent you for Colibri iMX6ULL. They already come in .zip format, you just need to add them to

NXP_PROPRIETARY_DRIVER_LOCATION = "file:///home/user/wifi-archive"

as this guide describes: GitHub - toradex/meta-toradex-wifi: This repository contains recipes and meta-data to integrated the NXP proprietary wireless drivers (also called mlan or the C-Driver) into the Toradex BSP for SOMs containing the Azurewave 88W8997 chip.

I think the guide is up to date. If you find something that is wrong or if you have any questions, please, let us know.

Best regards,
Hiago.

Hi,
I still cannot download the file.
I signed a NDA and it was granted. After that I asked for access for secure files in wireless area and it was accepted. When I search for 88w8997 nothing return.

In your printscreen there is an “Access Granted” shown, I think access to some kind of Secure Files is needed before I can download it. Maybe this part is ascent in your tutorial. The possible areas to ask to access are: Processors and Microcontrollers, Interfaces, Power Management, RF, RFID, Security and Authentication, Sensors, and Wireless Connectivity. When you click in the “Access Granted (i)” shown in your print screen, some information pops up?

When I access NXP Sign In | Register , it redirects to NXP Sign In | Register . Maybe this link could be updated.

It is only a guess that I need other secure file access request. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Thank you,
Ricardo.

Hi @rfantin,

Even from the direct download here below, can’t you access the files?

After I created my account, I asked to download these files and quickly NXP granted me access. Other customers reported the same thing.

Thanks for pointing this out! I’ll change this in our repo.

Have you just clicked on the button to request these files?

Let me know if you could download them with the links that I’ve sent you.

Best Regards,
Hiago.

Hello.
I couldn’t download even with the direct link. I tried in Firefox and Chromium. I friend could not download it either. The only explanation that I could think was because we use IP from Brazil. I will try to ask to access Processors and Microcontrollers Secure files and if even this not work, open a support ticket in NxP system.

Anyway I will update you when I get the files.

Thank you,
Ricardo.

Hi @rfantin,

I’m not sure why NXP doesn’t allow you to download these files, it should be easy to get this access. I’ll take a look at their website as well.

I’m using an IP from Brazil too, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Best Regards,
Hiago.

Hi @rfantin,

I’ve sent you an email with some instructions. Please, check your inbox and we can continue from there.

Best Regards.
Hiago.

Dear community, @hfranco.tx
I have the same problem with imx6ull module, I am unable to download the driver from the NXP site.
Moreover I check the recipe inside the meta-toradex-wifi and I see that it extends linux-toradex_%.bbappend , but using BSP 5.7.0 the default kernel is linux-toradex-mainline (even in my case, I didn’t change any variable to control upstream vs downstream).

I see that the default branch for meta-toradex-wifi is 5.3.0, but I am not sure if it refers to the Toradex BSP… Can someone clarify this?

In the past I was using BSP 2.8b6 with backported driver and everything works well…

Best regards,
Stefano.

Hi @SCordibella,

Are you seeing the same error? Unfortunately, this comes from NXP with an NDA, it’s not something we are allowed to share here. Can you send a message to NXP asking for these drivers?

With the Yocto layers, the default kernel is downstream, if you check the local.conf file, you should see the distro configuration:

# Use this distro by default
DISTRO ?= "tdx-xwayland"

You are correct, this refers to the BSP 5.3.0. Checkign the code, I believe there shouldn’t be a problem to use this branch with 5.7.0. Thanks for pointing this out, we will update the repo as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Hiago.

Hi @hfranco.tx, adding the following recipes I am able to run the ap without having the nxp proprietary driver:

• linux-firmware-sd8997,
  • mwifiexap,
  • hostapd,
  • hostapd-example

Is the proprietary driver and the meta-toradex-wifi realy needed?

Hi @SCordibella,

our layer meta-toradex-wifi will also add the labtool software to your image. This software is often used for certification purposes because by using it you can set specific WiFi/Bluetooth frequencies for testing. If this is not your goal, probably adding those layers should be enough.

Best Regards,
Hiago.