I2S Output with an external master clock

Hello, I’m looking to use an external clock to clock the i2s signal out of an Colibri iMX7 Dual 512MB | V1.1D, and into a custom codec I’m developing. Has anyone worked this out?

I’ve done it before on an A20 chip, would the process be similar? Years ago, I had to work with the 3.x kernel, have we moved beyond that yet?

Can anyone confirm if the iMX6 / iMX7 will work with an audio signal up to 768 kHz / 32 bit on i2S?

Anyone interested in consulting on this?

hi @kdubious

Welcome to the Toradex Community!

Hello, I’m looking to use an external clock to clock the i2s signal out of an Colibri iMX7 Dual 512MB | V1.1D, and into a custom codec I’m developing. Has anyone worked this out?

What kind of codec are you developing? What is your application?

I’ve done it before on an A20 chip, would the process be similar? Years ago, I had to work with the 3.x kernel, have we moved beyond that yet

Since A20 also has a Dual-Core Cortex-A7 ARM CPU, I think the process should be similar. The current kernel we are using is 4.9.x.

Can anyone confirm if the iMX6 / iMX7 will work with an audio signal up to 768 kHz / 32 bit on i2S?

What do you mean exactly with that? We are using this codec on our Colibri imx7 board. Does this help you?

Best regards, Jaski