i.MX7 video playback (gstreamer1.0)

Hello.

I am testing new i.MX7 module for our next product.

I know that iMX7 is not intended as multimedia device but still is it capable of playing videos since it doesn’t have GPU or VPU? I had no luck with gstreamer, played just videotestsrc over autovideosink.

Thanks in advance

Hi

You are right that the i.MX7 does not offer a GPU or other multimedia releated HW acceleration. However some basic low resolution video stuff should still be possible.

In the first demo image we likely installed some plugins which do not work on the i.MX7 so maybe if you use one of the ‘auto’ plugins the constructed pipeline is not compatible with the i.MX 7 hardware.

That said the following does work for me:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! ximagesink
gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! autovideosink

gst-play-1.0 ~/file.mp3
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/file.mp3 ! id3demux ! beepdec ! alsasink

Yeah, i.MX 7 has no VPU, and hence video decoding need to be done using the CPU. We did not test what framerates/resolutions are achievable.

Note that, i.MX 7 has the PXP engine which allows color space conversion and rotation, which might be useful for some use cases. The GStreamer plugins should support them, at least according to the readme of the relevant Github repo: GitHub - Freescale/gstreamer-imx: GStreamer 1.0 plugins for i.MX platforms