How to use 'systemd' to implement a system-level watchdog timer

All,

We are developing a product which will be remotely located; therefore, we require a robust method to recover kernel panics, a job usually performed by a software function which periodically “kicks” a watchdog timer hardware element so that it does not automatically perform a system reboot.

We propose to use the capabilities of ‘systemd’ to automatically perform this watchdog function. According to the ‘systemd’ documentation found here, setting ‘RuntimeWatchdogSec’ in ‘systemd.conf’ (inside /etc/systemd/) to a non-zero value, say 20 (sec), will cause the i.MX6DL to enter the shutdown / reset state if the kernel stops running for at least 10 seconds.

Questions:

1. Is our understanding of this ‘systemd’ function correct?
  2. Has anyone else implemented a system-level watchdog timer using ‘systemd’?
  3. In order to test this functionality, what is the best way to “kill” the kernel?
  4. Can anyone provide implementation DOs or DON’Ts?

Thank you,

-Chuck

Answers: 1) Yes, we do believe so. 2) I don’t think so. I’m also not sure what exact systemd version is required and whether or not ours has that functionality enabled at all. 3) If sysrq is enabled do echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger otherwise just killing init may do kill -9 1. 4) Not that I can think of right now.

Marcel,

In the ‘system.conf’ file (within /etc/systemd/), I have set ‘RuntimeWatchdogSec=20’ which should cause the hardware to enter the reset state after 10 seconds whenever the kernel stops, ‘panics’. Unfortunately, since ‘sysrq’ is not enabled the SoM and ‘kill -9 1’ does not stop the kernel, I have no way to test whether or not this watchdog time scheme works or not.

Any other suggestions as to how I may create a ‘kernel panic’ after boot up and startup of our autorun application?

Thanks,

-Chuck

hi @Chuck_Evergreen, you should enable sysrq for the kernel.

Jaski,

Can I enable ‘sysrq’ by loading a module at runtime, if so, can you tell me how best to do that? Or do I have to rebuild the kernel?

Thank you,

-Chuck

Hi @Chuck_Evergreen

Yes to use echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger to panic your kernel you need to rebuild your kernel. You can find a guideline here how you can do that.

after you did the defconfig of your board make sure to enter the menuconfig with make menuconfig. Hit / (slash). This will open a search console. Enter MAGIC_SYSRQ. Jump to the setting with 1. Enable the setting with space and exit menuconfig. You can then proceed with building the kernel as it is described in the guideline I linked.

Philippe,

Thanks for this…

-Chuck

You are welcome.