How to upgrade python3.5 to python3.7 on imx6

Hi ,

I am trying to install python3.7 with ‘opkg install python3.7’ or ‘pip install python3.7’ but not able to install. Currently having python3.5.
Could you pleas help me how can i upgrade python3.7 from python3.5.

Below are the error it shown in terminal.

root@apalis-imx6:~# opkg install python3.7
Collected errors:

• opkg_prepare_url_for_install: Couldn’t find anything to satisfy ‘python3.7’.
    root@apalis-imx6:~# pip install python3.7
    DEPRECATION: Python 3.5 reached the end of its life on September 13th, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 3.5 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 3.5 in January 2021. pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality.
    ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement python3.7
    ERROR: No matching distribution found for python3.7
    root@apalis-imx6:~#

Thanks and Regards,
Gayatri

Hi @Gayatri

Welcome to Toradex community.

Could you provide the hardware and software versions of you’re setup?

Please note our new BSPv5.x supports python3.8 and hence you need to build a Custom imageto add the latest python packages.add IMAGE_INSTALL_append=“python3” line in local.conf file to include the python3 package.

Hi @ashok.tx

The below are details for my setup:

Angstrom v2017.12 - Kernel
Apalis-iMX6_LXDE-Image 2.8b7 20210420
Toradex ixora carrier boardV1.1(iMX6Q) hardware we have.

Will it be possible to update python3.8 from python3.5 on my setup? Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards,
Gayatri

Hi @Gayatri

Usually, some of the recipe versions are tied to a specific branch, so you would need to look for a newer phyton recipe from a newer branch. It’s not a trivial task as you would need to fix all dependencies.

There may be some python3_3.8.2.bb recipes on other branches you may use to upgrade.
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/121541/