How to update torizoncore Docker version?

How can I upgrade torizon core to the latest version of Docker? I see that the current docker version is Docker version 19.03.14-ce and the latest is 23.

I’m trying to run a docker container thats based on Alpine 3.14, but it has issues with Docker older than v20.

I’ve already setup my container to rebuild torizoncore and have modified it adding additional dependencies such as GIT following the guide: Build TorizonCore from Source With Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded | Toradex Developer Center

Since docker already exists somewhere in the yocto image, what file should I modify to make it install the latest version? I’m guessing this is in one of the toradex layers? I do not have much experience with modifying Yocto images.

Hi @joejankowiak ,

I assume you’re using the dunfell-5.x.y branch of TorizonCore, given the Docker version. The kirkstone-6.x.y branch has Docker v20, so you can switch your Yocto build to be based on that instead. Just keep in mind that TorizonCore 6 is, at the time of writing this, not a production release i.e. only nightly and monthly releases are available.

If you want to use the Dunfell branch with a newer Docker version, you will need to adapt the Docker CE recipe file, located at layers/meta-virtualization/recipes-containers/docker/docker-ce_git.bb. You can use the Kirkstone recipe linked above as a starting point, but this adaptation process can be complicated if you’re not experienced with Yocto.

Let me know if this helps you.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the help! I am currently on dunfell but I will try out Kirkstone and hopefully that fixes my issue. Since this is just for a dev environment a non production version should suffice for us. Any idea on when v6 will be stable?

Hi @joejankowiak ,

A quick correction on my part: a quarterly release of TorizonCore 6 is already available for some of our current modules. A quarterly release is considered a production release for supported volume products, so please ignore what I said in my previous post about that. Sorry for the mistake.

The link above has more information regarding our recommended usage (production, development, etc.) for this particular release. I’d recommend you take a look at it.

If you have any other questions, I’ll be glad to help.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi Lucas,

I rebuilt with TorizonCore 6.1 and everything’s working now, thank you!

I must say, I really appreciate that Toradex actually provides support (and fast support at that) via their forums unlike most companies that just rely on their user’s to support each other. You and Jeremias are doing an awesome job. Very glad that we’ve decided to switch over to Toradex for our embedded Linux devices!

5 Likes

I agree with you ! An example of good support !

3 Likes