How to remove RPCBind from build

I am using VF50 module with LINUX 2.8 2019-06-12.
The default image installs rpcbind which opens port 111. I understand that there are vulnerabilities associated with rpcbind. However, I cannot seem to remove the package from the build image. I have tried to remove nfs using DISTRO_FEATURES_remove, but rpcbind is still installed.
How can I exclude rpcbind from the build image?

Hi @ashinton,

thank you for using the Toradex community.

Is this the only feature you want to remove from the build?

Would it be possible for you to share the local.conf file of yours?

Best Regards
Kevin

We add and remove a number of features. However, we cannot seem to remove rpcbind. It always seems to be included in the build image. I have attached local.conf file.
local.conf (11.6 KB)

In layers folder please search files with “rpcbind” you will find packages that require rpcbind

Hi @ashinton ,

did you try to add the line:

IMAGE_FEATURES_remove = " nfs "

Additionally we recommend using spaces before and after the feature you want to remove.

Like this: " nfs "
Instead of: “nfs”

This has something to do that if there is a second line of removed features somewhere, it will be appended to the other line. So in case there is no space two names will be added together in a single word.

Let me know if this helped.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
Added IMAGE_FEATURES_remove = " nfs ", as suggested. However, rpcbind is still included in the build:

netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 240/rpcbind
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:40329 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 275/rpc.statd

Hi @ashinton,

could you search your layers directory for files that include “rpcbind”? If you found them you can post them here.

It is possible that you will find certain packages, which require rpcbind to run.

Best Regards
Kevin

You can also try this way (cannon to kill flies) :
remove folder “layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-extended/rpcbind” , “build”
build again
Errors will tell you where the dependencies are :smile:

1 Like