How to read CPU Temperature in Colibri iMX7 and TorizonCore?

Hi,

I want to know about temperature measurement in TorizonCore as sys/devices/thermal/ folder is empty.

FYI
Hardware Setup
Colibri iMX7D 1GB v1.1A
Voila Plus v1.2B

Software Setup
Output of uname -a is Linux colibri-imx7-06581377 5.4.54-4.0.0-devel+git.c0969469ee07 #1-TorizonCore SMP Fri Aug 7 22:23:53 UTC 2020 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Please guide.

Regards,
Pradeep Pol

Greetings @eklavya19,

First of all for the i.MX7 the correct directory path is actually /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/. That being said this doesn’t help either as this path doesn’t exist on the system as well.

What’s strange is that these directories exist on our other i.MX platforms like i.MX6/8. This is perhaps a misconfiguration or bug with the i.MX7 specifically. Let me report this issue back with the team and see if I can find further details/answers.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx,

Yes. I Have checked all the path in sys folder and found that all thermal folders are empty.
I have checked with iMX6DL 512 MB and thermal files are there on place.

I have one more question, I have observed that in case of iMX6, temperature is high(55-65 degree) as compared to iMX7 (40-50 degree), Is there any specific reason for this?

Regards,
Pradeep Pol

Hello eklavya19,

You asked :“I have one more question, I have observed that in case of iMX6, temperature is high(55-65 degree) as compared to iMX7 (40-50 degree), Is there any specific reason for this?”

The IMX6 uses an older 40 nm silicon chip and the IMX7 used a more power-efficient 28nm process. this is why the IMX6 gets hotter.

Regards,
Matthias