How to make repo init -b refs/tags/... work

repo init -b refs/tags/Apalis_iMX6_LinuxImageV2.7Beta1_20170112
Get https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo/clone.bundle
Get git-repo - Git at Google
fatal: manifest url (-u) is required.

What now !!!. Please can someone correct the documentation or explain how to rebuild Apalis_iMX6_LinuxImageV2.7Beta1_20170112 from scratch.

I need to build a kernel with different configuration options. Is there a working example of how to set up a meta that builds Apalis_iMX6_LinuxImageV2.7Beta1_20170112 but with a custom kernel configuration file.

Hi

What now !!!.

As the error message suggests provide the URL of the git repo.
(You used the the command from the section which explains how to update an existing OE setup)

So what about:

repo init -u http://git.toradex.com/toradex-bsp-platform.git -b refs/tags/Apalis_iMX6_LinuxImageV2.7Beta1_20170112

Is there a working example of how to set up a meta that builds Apalis_iMX6_LinuxImageV2.7Beta1_20170112 but with a custom kernel configuration file.

Maybe like this, or this, or this.

Note that we recommend to not use OE for kernel development unless you exactly know which few config and device tree changes you need. This greatly decreases round trip time during iterations.

Here is the page which explains how to get the kernel sources, compile it and deploy the kernel/modules/device tree onto a module.

Max

Hi Max,
Thank you for your answers. They have been helpful. Now I need to study the provided kernel links in detail.
I eventually got the repo -u option sorted before getting your response so I have had a chance to get further forward.
The kernel configuration seems to be a bit of a black art - there seems to be no consistent/common way of doing the build over the Toradex meta recipes.
I don’t need to change any kernel sources - I only need a number different configuration options. For now I have just overwritten one of the defconfig files in the meta-toredex-nxp. Reading the links you provided shows that this should work in the short term. I will persevere with the reading until I get somewhere (the OE build will take a while as I had to start from a clean slate due to messing up the old tree too badly).