How to enable canbus on Colibri imx6ull without Torizon?

Hi,

I have got a " Colibri iMX6ULL 512MB IT" mounted on a Aster carrier board.
I need to use canbus0. Could you suggest me how to modify the dts an dtsi file to reach my goal ?

I tried myself and right now I see the can0 ethernet interface visible with ifconfig.
But running the command “cansend can0 5A1#1188” I can’t see activity on SODIMM_55 and SODIMM_63. Consider that on these 2 pins there isn’t a can bus driver. Before connect the driver I’m expected to see activity on tx pin.

Thanks

Hello @Massimo ,
You can have a look at this article in our developer webpage:

Best regards,
Josep

Hello @josep.tx ,

maybe I’m wrong using dts and dtsi downloaded from:
git clone -b v6.1 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git

Using these files, it is not enought to change status value to okay.
Please tell me which are the right dts and dtsi file to use.

Thanks

Hi @Massimo

You can find the dts and dtsi files for the ULL here:

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx,
where to place the files you indicated ?
If I place them inside linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/ directory and run the command:
make DTC_FLAGS="-@" imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb
I get this error:

DTC     arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb
Error: arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6ull-colibri.dtsi:589.4-5 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:406: arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb] Errore 1
make: *** [Makefile:1452: imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb] Errore 2

Hello @Massimo,

The dts and dtsi files for the iMX6ULL device that @kevin.tx pointed out are available by default in linux/arch/arm/boot/dts directory. So you don’t have to place them in there manually.
Now I have some additional questions to help you troubleshoot the error that you get:

1. Could you please send me the imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dts file that you have written?
  2. From which directory are you executing the make DTC_FLAGS=“-@” imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb command?

Hello @rudhi.tx ,

1. I send you all the files I modified
    Dts.zip (21.8 KB).

2. from /home/showroom/Dev/Toradex/ImageDev/linux/ directory.

Hello @Massimo,

I tried compiling the device trees from your source files. It worked just fine for me. One thing I noticed is the symbol in your make DTC_FLAGS=“-@” imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb command. It should be " instead. I guess this is the reason behind the syntax error that you get.
Could you please try compiling with copy and paste from here: make DTC_FLAGS="-@" imx6ull-colibri-elsist-slimline.dtb
Please let me know if that solves your issue.

Hello @rudhi.tx ,

my problem not is about compiling. It is like a wrote in the first post: “I tried myself and right now I see the can0 ethernet interface visible with ifconfig. But running the command “cansend can0 5A1#1188” I can’t see activity on SODIMM_55 and SODIMM_63.”

Could you try the dtb file to verify if CAN bus works ?

Thanks

Hello @Massimo,

Sorry about the delay. In the meantime, have you been able to make any progress on your side?

Hi @rudhi,
no any progress.