How do I flash Boot2Qt 5.11.2 custom image to eMMC without using Toradex Easy Installer?

I have been using Boot2Qt recipe for our image. I’ve tried 2 different approaches to flash the image to the Apalis imx6 board that we have.

1. Flash using Qt flashing wizard - This prepares the image on the SD card. Imx6 loads the image from the SD card. This is not an option for us since we need to load the image from the eMMC.
  2. Flash using the Toradex Easy Installer - This method fits our requirement. The image is flashed on the eMMC and the imx6 loads it from the eMMC.

We want to go with option number 2. However, is there a way to use the update.sh (legacy script) instead of the Easy Installer?

Can we maybe just adapt the update.sh for the Boot2Qt image?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
John

I have been using Boot2Qt recipe for our image. I’ve tried 2 different approaches to flash the image to the Apalis imx6 board that we have.

1. Flash using Qt flashing wizard - This prepares the image on the SD card. Imx6 loads the image from the SD card. This is not an option for us since we need to load the image from the eMMC.

I believe one should be able to use the same on eMMC by e.g. connecting the targets USB device port to your worstation and using U-Boot’s USB mass storage emulation mode:

Apalis iMX6 # ums 0 mmc 0

2. Flash using the Toradex Easy Installer - This method fits our requirement. The image is flashed on the eMMC and the imx6 loads it from the eMMC.

We want to go with option number 2.

You may find some useful information here:

However, is there a way to use the update.sh (legacy script) instead of the Easy Installer?

Yes, just as described above for the Toradex Easy Installer one could also integrate more or less any custom device tree, Linux kernel and root file system using the legacy update procedure:

1. Extract a regular legacy image package
  2. replace device tree, Linux kernel and/or root file system with your desired Boot2Qt ones
  3. Generate a legacy update media using update.sh script
  4. Perform the update

More information concerning the deployment of device tree and Linux kernel may be found here:

https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/build-u-boot-and-linux-kernel-from-source-code#T30_TK1_iMX_6_Based_Modules

This actually mentions how to update resp. parts directly on the update media.

And the legacy update procedure itself:

Can we maybe just adopt the update.sh for the Boot2Qt image?

I don’t think anything about update.sh needs adopting at all.