HDMI Display in clone mode not working on imx8m plus

I am currently working on a project, I have Verdin Toradex Development Board iMX8M Plus , with two HDMI connectors.

Kernel Version : 5.4
U-boot Version : 2020.04

My objective is to set up a cloning configuration for dual HDMI displays, but I am encountering difficulties in achieving this setup.

I have attempted the following steps to configure the cloning mode:

1. I have modified the U-Boot environment variables using the following settings:
    “setenv setupargs console=tty1 console=ttymxc2,115200 consoleblank=0 earlycon video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720-16@60D video=HDMI-A-2:1280x720-16@60D”

2. I experimented with two variations of the weston.ini configuration files:

1. weston.ini file

[output]
    name=HDMI-A-1
    mode=1920x1080@60
    #transform=90

[output]
    name=HDMI-A-2
    mode=1920x1080@60
    #transform=90

[output]
    name=HDMI-A-1
    mode=off

[output]
    name=HDMI-A-1
    same-as=HDMI-A-2

Despite making these changes, both HDMI displays initialize simultaneously during boot-up. However, when I run applications such as Qt or play an MP4 video, the content is only visible on one of the display.

I did notice an interesting behavior during the flashing process using tezi.itb . At this stage, both displays show same content, suggesting that the cloning configuration might be applied during this process. If possible may I know how we are able to see toradex easy install on both the displays at the same time?

I am reaching out to the community in the hopes of receiving guidance and insights regarding this issue. If anyone has successfully configured a dual HDMI display cloning setup on the VerdIn Toradex iMX8M Plus Dev Board,

Thanks,
Himanshu Bhavani

Hello Bhavani,

It seems like there’s an issue for that specific functionality in the version of Weston that NXP (and by extension us) ship.

Another customer applied a patch from upstream Weston that solves the issue and was kind enough to report the steps to us, please take a look: Apalis IMX8 HDMI and LVDS display not mirroring/cloning - #13 by HieuNong

Regards,