Thanks a lot for contacting Toradex. I will try to answer your questions.
- What is the status for shipping production Colibri iMX8X modules?
The module is still in early access phase. However, if you are interested, you can request it here and we should still be able to ship some samples:
- I see that it comes loaded with Toradex Easy Loader. I get the impression that when Linux is loaded that the Easy Loader is overwritten - correct?
This is correct. Easy installer will overwrite itself. However, you can always reflash Toradex Easy Installer through the recovery mode:
- Do I have to worry about loading the SCFW? The SCU is already to go?
Our images already include everything needed. We don’t recommend that you change anything there. Under Linux you can use devicetree to configure Pinmuxing, etc.
- Where is the best place to go to get info on the SCFW API or do I have to worry about it? Almost all of my use of peripherals will be with the M4 - not the A35s. Does that make a difference?
We are still working on the M4 support. However, it depends on where you want to configure e.g. your pin muxing, etc. If you want to do that from M4 side you probably have to use the API. Download the SCFWKIT linked in this article: https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/build-custom-imx-88x-system-controller-firmware-scfw If you run the bin file, it will extract the sw_fw_api.pdf for you. Also see this article: https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-340335
- What is the status of Torizon for this SOM?
It is not officially supported yet but there is a version of Torizon in the continuos integration feeds. So it’s possible to test it.
- Does Torizon include Wayland/Weston?
Yes it only supports weston at the moment. To run X11 application you need to use XWayland.
- Can one use the 7" parallel panel you sell with the Colibri iMX8X? does the device tree need to be modified for this? I understand that the Colibri board only supports 18-bit color.
Yes the parallel panel works with the Colibri iMX8X. The Colibri standard pinout only foresees 18bit. However, the iMX8X also supports 24bits when using some pins with a non standard muxing. (see: https://docs.toradex.com/105670-colibri-imx8x-datasheet.pdf)
- Will there be an iMX8X Verdin SOM any time soon?
I’m not aware of such plans for the moment. There will be an Apalis with iMX8X and ECC, however. What would you prefer about Verdin? What do you miss with the iMX8M Mini? Where do you see advantages/disadvantages? We’re looking forward to get some feedback, change requests, esc. about Verdin and iMX8M Mini:)