Full flash memory capacity access

Hello,

We have been using Colibri PXA270 and we need to use all the flash memory capacity for storage.

From the datasheet, Colibri PXA270 has 32 MB of Flash and 64 MB RAM.
Our programmed PXA270 has about 4.6 MB free on NORFlash. Our programs and files take about 7 MB.
What happens to the rest of Flash memory ?

Right clicking and selecting the properties on “My device” shows that it needs 10 MB for programs and can allocate maximum about 37 MB from RAM for storage.

How can we use the rest of the Flash memory ?

Thanks

Dear @shiva_eghbal

A part of the system’s RAM and Flash is reserved for the operating system, Our typical WinCe configuration requires about 20MB of flash to be stored. but this value varies with the actual system configuration.

What you see in the screenshot is not related to flash memory at all: This is just a division of the available RAM (again, roughly 20MB of RAM are required for the operating system and therefore are not available here).
The RAM can be used to either hold your application and variables (“Program Memory”, or it can be used to store files - whenever you create a file in the root folder it will be stored only in RAM (“Storage Memory”).

Regards, Andy

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the explanation.
We need about 10 MB more memory to store some files.
Is there any way to add more capacity to the flash memory ?
Maybe changing any settings ?

Thanks

Dear @shiva_eghbal

I’m afraid the allocated memory is actually used. Freeing one or two MB would be possible by removing OS features, but saving 10MB is not possible.

I recommend you either use an external storage (USB drive, SD card), or switch to a different Colibri module with more flash storage.

Regards, Andy