Flash only device tree file on Colibri IMX7 EMMC

Hi!

How do I flash only the device-tree binary on a iMX7 eMMC module? Previously (non eMMC) I’ve used the run setupdate, run prepare_ubi, run update_fdt from u-boot, but these seems not supported on the eMMC module.

I would like to upgrade only the device-tree (and kernel) without re-flashing the entire image using the easy-installer.

Best,
Kristian

You can take the updated .dtb file and copy it over to the /boot partition of the Colibri while it is running.

You can download the file over the network using ftp, wget, scp, nfs, or you can use an sd-card. Whatever’s the most convenient to you.

Thanks! I noticed /boot is empty, but the kernel zImage and dtbs are located at /media/mmcblk0p1. (that is, /dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted at /media/mmcblk0p1). Has there been a change in the mount location on my system?

Yes, that’s the partition that uboot will load the kernel and the device tree from. Normally it should be mounted to /boot via /etc/fstab, but it works even if it isn’t. You can replace the .dtb you find there.

Perfect :slight_smile:

Whatever should means in that case. However, at least in our regular BSPs it has never been mounted at any such special place.

Should, as in a regular, non-embedded system. So long as the packages aren’t updated, runtime mounting is absolutely optional.

How we’ll come to know whether device tree file updated or not. using this procedure on apalis imx6q 2GB IT v1.1B

Please ask a new question exactly starting what it is you are trying to achieve and what exact hardware and software versions of things you are talking about.