Fastboot on Colibri iMX8

Hello,

I’ve build the Colibri image (sumo-4.14.78-1.0.0_ga baseline) per instructions from: Build Apalis iMX8/Colibri iMX8X OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project Bring-up Image

I’ve noticed the fastboot is not enabled/supported in uboot.

Fastboot protocol is required by NXP uuu utility for Flashing Embedded Linux/ANDROID images to iMX8 SOM Modules. At this time, UMS method is the only available to get images deployed to the MMC.

Is there a plan to add fastboot support into the future releases?

Best Regards, Alexander

Hi Alexander

No, currently we do not plan to change our default configuration. However if you wants fastboot, it looks like the NXP platform configures fastboot in their i.MX8 Android configurations which you could take as blueprint.

Max

@max.tx , I apply the latest config to u-boot for colibri imx8 v1.0b to enable fastboot and change ‘bootcmd_mfg’ to run mfgtool_args;fastboot 0;booti ${loadaddr} ${initrd_addr} ${fdt_addr}; here.
It just directly runs fastboot 0 instead of loading initrd. I hope it is right.

uuu successfully loads flash.bin to imx8.

sudo  ./uuu test.uuu 
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.2.91-0-g3799f4d

Success 0    Failure 0                                                                                  

3:21   1/ 1   [============100%============] SDPS: boot -f Public/flash.bin

And at imx8 serial console it prints:

Detect USB boot. Will enter fastboot mode!
Net:   eth0: ethernet@5b040000 [PRIME]
Fastboot: Normal
Boot from USB for mfgtools
Use default environment for                              mfgtools
Run bootcmd_mfg: run mfgtool_args;fastboot 0;booti ${loadaddr} ${initrd_addr} ${fdt_addr};
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 

But other FB commands in uuu script don’t work except SDPS. What do I miss for fastboot? Thanks!

@benjamin.tx we have no plans to support anything other than the Toradex Easy Installer for deployment purpose, sorry.

ok, got it. customer would like to use UUU tool for flashing QNX image which is verified on NXP’s board with its official BSP imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga. But what is the schedule for toradex easy installer on Colibri iMX8X?

Hi Marcel, i found it on our redmine. thanks!