Failing to flash Boot 2 Qt image to Apalis iMX6

Hi there,

We were using a modified version of the Qt5-X11-Image 2.8b2 20180713 on the Aplais iMX6 borad and I never experienced issues when flashing different versions from an SD card onto the board (using “run setupdate” and “run update”).
However, now I would like to try to upload a image provided by Qt onto the board. I flashed the downloaded Boot2Qt image onto SD card with the help of QtCreator’s tool (in contrast to the ./update.sh script this creates two partitions on the SD card).
When I try to flash the content of the SD card onto the board I only get the following output:

switch to partitions #1, OK
mmc0(part 1) is current device

MMC read: dev # 0, block # 138, count 1 ... 1 blocks read: OK
reading apalis_imx6/u-boot.imx-spl
371632 bytes read in 40 ms (8.9 MiB/s)
switch to partitions #1, OK
mmc0(part 1) is current device

MMC write: dev # 0, block # 138, count 726 ... 726 blocks written: OK
Fuse 0, 5: 5072
Fast boot mode already fused, no need to fuse
resetting ...

As result the board is not updated but just reboots with the old image.
Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @magra

It seems that by downloading the Boot2Qt image onto SD card with the help of QtCreator’s tool, you created a SD card, which you can use for booting from SD card. This SD card cannot be used for flashing the image to the module.
So you should integrate the contents of the Boot2Qt image to the Qt5-X11-Image and then flash it to the module.

There is also the possibility to directly flash the BootQt Image to the module using Toradex Easy Installer.

Best regards, Jaski

Thank you jaski.tx,

That was quite helpful. However, I am stuck at another position now:
In order to install the Boot2Qt image from the Easy Installer I followed the instructions on Downloads & Installers | Toradex Developer Center. I then selected the Boot2Qt image (only one available was from Qt 5.11) in the installer and pressed install. The image got downloaded and I confirmed the popup dialog with “Reboot” and then I am stuck…
The output on the serial port is:

U-Boot 2016.11-2.7.5+g52259cf (Jun 2 2018 - 14:01:54 +0300)
CPU:   Freescale i.MX6Q rev1.5 at 792
MHz Reset cause: POR I2C:   ready
DRAM:  2 GiB PMIC:  device id: 0x10, revision id: 0x21, programmed MMC:  
FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1, FSL_SDHC: 2
auto-detected panel HDMI Display: HDMI
(1024x768) In:    serial Out:   serial
Err:   serial Model: Toradex Apalis iMX6 Quad 2GB IT V1.1C, Serial#
05184618 Net:   using PHY at 7 FEC 
[PRIME] Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Booting from internal eMMC chip...
reading imx6q-apalis-eval.dtb 50345
bytes read in 17 ms (2.8 MiB/s)
reading zImage
** Unable to read file zImage **

emmcboot failed switch to partitions  
scanning usb for ethernet devices... 0
Ethernent Timeout poll on
interrupterrupt endpoint

I thought another way could be to boot from the SD card using QtCreator’s “Flash Boot to Qt device”, but the way I understand it the Apalis board cannot boot from SD (Booting Apalis IMX6 from SD Card - Technical Support - Toradex Community), is that correct?

** Unable to read file zImage **

You have to reset the uboot environment. Boot to Uboot and then type the following:

1. env default -a
  2. ‘saveenv’
    After that you can restart the module

I thought another way could be to boot from the SD card using QtCreator’s “Flash Boot to Qt device”.

Please read this article for learn about booting from SD-card.

Thank you Jaski,

In the meantime I downloaded the Boo2Qt tezi.tar image onto an SD card and loaded this in the Easy Installer. Somehow that worked without resetting the uboot environment.
I was wondering if Toradex also supplies older Boot2Qt images, since I am interested in the Qt 5.9.6 version but when I download it from Qt, there is only an img and no tezi.tar file. Is there a way to convert it, so it can be used by the Easy Installer?

Thanks again,
Markus

You are welcome. Perfect that it worked. Concerning the Boot2Qt image, these are maintainted by Qt Company. Please have a look here.