Error (Unable to determine the GCC toolchain version) while using Torizoncore builder with a custom Torizon image

I have previously used Kirkstone 6.5.0 to build Torizon minimal images with Yocto project and after adding device-tree and overlays deployed them onto my Colibri Evaluation board with Colibri imx7d.

However, yesterday after updating the Yocto folders to repo kirkstone-6.6.0 and successfully building torizon-minimal image, I am getting the following error in Torizoncore builder:-

2024-04-15 15:57:42,499 - root - ERROR - Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/builder/torizoncore-builder”, line 221, in
mainargs.func(mainargs)
File “/builder/tcbuilder/cli/build.py”, line 479, in do_build
build(args.config_fname, args.storage_directory,
File “/builder/tcbuilder/cli/build.py”, line 449, in build
fs_changes = handle_customization_section(
File “/builder/tcbuilder/cli/build.py”, line 176, in handle_customization_section
handle_kernel_customization(props[“kernel”], storage_dir=storage_dir)
File “/builder/tcbuilder/cli/build.py”, line 232, in handle_kernel_customization
kernel_cli.kernel_build_module(
File “/builder/tcbuilder/cli/kernel.py”, line 93, in kernel_build_module
kernel.build_module(
File “/builder/tcbuilder/backend/kernel.py”, line 56, in build_module
assert version_gcc, “Unable to determine the GCC toolchain version”
AssertionError: Unable to determine the GCC toolchain version

The following shows the details from Yocto project, which built successfully.

To be sure, I also tried on a fresh folder by importing the latest Kirkstone-6.6.0 sources, and still get the same error on Torizoncore builder.

Following is a screenshot of Torizoncore configuration:-

Please help.

Greetings @rajdeepteck123,

This issue was fixed by this commit: meta-toradex-bsp-common.git - Toradex BSP layer, recipes common to all modules

Looking at your commit hash for meta-toradex-bsp-common it seems you don’t have this fix in your build yet.

By the way I see you’re doing a yocto build, but then using TorizonCore Builder at the same time. Is there a reason you’re using 2 different methods for image customization instead of one?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Thanks for the point. Applying the patch indeed fixes the issue.

By the way I see you’re doing a yocto build, but then using TorizonCore Builder at the same time. Is there a reason you’re using 2 different methods for image customization instead of one?

Nothing it was a temporary way to quickly check the image. We will eventually build everything on Yocto.

Glad I was able to help!