eMMC boot process without uuu

Hi,

I am following the getting started guide for APalis iMX8 rev1.0B at: Build Apalis iMX8/Colibri iMX8X OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project Bring-up Image

Is there a way to flash the module without the use of uuu and USBO1 port?

Apalis modules are shipped with pre-flashed Toradex Easy Installer. To flash desired image you just need a network connection or SD card/USB drive with an image.
However if you already have some image flashed you will need to run Toradex Easy installer again. You can either download it through serial interface by runing recovery- script (it uses uuu ). Or you ca start it from SD/USB drive by using U-Boot. If you have functioning U-Boot # run distro_bootcmd command. Please see details here.

If you have only one peripheral - serial debug port and nothing else you can’t update an image.
You should have at lease SD or USB or Network interface to do an update.

Thanks @alex.tx

There is no command for distroboot_cmd:
=> run distro_bootcmd

Error: “distro_bootcmd” not defined

FYI: U-Boot 2018.03-toradex_imx_v2018.03_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga-bringup+gd8881436c7 (Apr 29 2019 - 15:39:36 +0000)

I am not sure what exactly it is that you are trying to do now. Either you launch the Toradex Easy Installer via USB recovery mode as outlined here or you won’t be able to update anything. In later BSPs we are also supporting SD card distroboot fall-back.

Please note that the bring-up stuff is obsolete and no longer supported. Please update to BSP 3.0b2 at your earliest convenience.

Can the following commands be modified to get flash the mmc 0 device from SD card instead of using uuu and UMS?

No, not easily, I am afraid.

Anyway, none of this is any longer supported and you should just use the Toradex Easy Installer which solves any and all such finicky issues once and for all.

I see. Thanks @marcel.tx for explaining this further. I will try to get the BSP update to 3.0b2

Thanks @alex.tx

Is the guide to flash the image for rev1.0B modules at Getting Started - Technical Support - Toradex Community invalid then?

What’s the flashing procedure if there is no display and only a serial port that I can use?

Regarding Build Apalis iMX8/Colibri iMX8X OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project Bring-up Image

Can the following commands be modified to get flash the mmc 0 device from SD card instead of using uuu and UMS?

Connect to the module over the serial interface, then execute the following commands in U-Boot:

Flash the boot container to the module:

mmc dev 1

load mmc 1:1 $loadaddr flash.bin

setexpr blkcnt ${filesize} + 0x1ff && setexpr blkcnt ${blkcnt} / 0x200

mmc dev 0 1

mmc write ${loadaddr} 0x0 ${blkcnt}

Enable UMS on the module to flash the image into eMMC:

ums 0 mmc 0

Find the eMMC block device with lsblk or similar on your host machine. Write the image directly to the Colibri iMX8X eMMC from your host:

bzcat fsl-image-validation-imx-apalis-imx8-20190429141630.rootfs.sdcard.bz2 | sudo dd of=/dev/<ums> bs=4M

sync

Stop UMS on the module with CTRL + C and set the environment to default:

env default -a; saveenv

Thanks

Hi @ividanamadura

Did you try to flash the module using Toradex Easy Installer? Does this work? If not could you provide an error log?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx

I did use the recovery mode to get the easy installer flashed on the module. Thanks!

Perfect that it works. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey @jaski.tx

My apologies. The LInux 3.0b BSP was flashed, however, it does crash at startup.

Attached are the logs from it: error log

No problem. Which carrier board are you using?
What peripheral did you connect to the carrier board?

I am using:
Apalis Evaluation Board
V1.1A

I only have the serial USB and an Ethernet cable connected.

Try the following:

setenv tdxargs pci=nomsi

I got linux to boot to the login stage without any peripherals.

However, it I connect either DVI or the Ethernet port, the modules tries to load Linux then goes into a boot cycle.

See attached logs

Looks to me like a power or thermal issue. What exact power supply are you using? Is your carrier board rated for the Apalis iMX8QM? Do you have a heat sink type 4 attached firmly?