Early Access i.MX8 experiences

Using the out-of-box SD card.

One issue I have seen it the OS has twice hung up on bootstrap. I didn’t capture the circumstances because I wasn’t sure what was happening, and I didn’t wait more than a minute. The first time, the console just stopped emitting chars. A reset worked with nothing else changed, but the DVI display was snow. A soft reboot at that point was successful. This was right after plugging the unit back in. I did press the “power” button within a couple of seconds of plugging it in this morning, maybe the system hadn’t charged up yet… I’m guessing this is just how it goes with early silicon and BSP. No question, just this is a record of what I have seen.

I am still running with just the out-of-the-box SD card plugged into the 8-bit slot.

On the other hand, the system has run for well over a week without issues since EXCEPT for the issue in the Apalis Eval Board Errata sheet about power starvation when the GPU was pushed… the “Qt Cinematic Experience” demo will cause that to happen in a few seconds.

Not bad for early hardware actually.

hi @dgribben

Thanks for the sharing your experience.
As you already said, the Early Silicon and Bsp can have these random errors. Is your Module still working?

Yes. Basically, if it starts up successfully (which is most of the time) everything stays working.

Ok, these are good news. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, can someone point me to this errata concerning power starvation with the GPU?

In my case I have built the qt5 environment, using qt 5.8/morty that you provide instructions for, using eglfs, and every QML program I try reboots the board.

There are no errors reported on the console or in the logs. In a couple of cases, the application has managed to run for a minute or so, but in 95% or so of the cases, the reboot happens as soon as something appears on the screen.

So I came back here and I see a couple of references to this GPU errata, but I cannot seem to find it in any of the docs I’ve downloaded.

Is there any workaround?

I have tried very simple programs for this testing (TrafficLight, multipointtoucharea), but the real software I’d like to try is much more complex and demanding.

hi @jtrulson

Welcome to the Toradex Community!!!

Hi, can someone point me to this errata concerning power starvation with the GPU?
Unfortunately the errata of iMX8 cannot be shared with the customers, since this is under NDA.

There are no errors reported on the console or in the logs. In a couple of cases, the application has managed to run for a minute or so, but in 95% or so of the cases, the reboot happens as soon as something appears on the screen.
This seems to be a too high power consumption issue. Which carrier board are you using? Could you measure the 3.3V Power Supply and check if you a shutdown when something appears on the screen.

So I came back here and I see a couple of references to this GPU errata, but I cannot seem to find it in any of the docs I’ve downloaded.
Which documents have you downloaded?

Is there any workaround?
As I said before, the Problem might be the 3.3V. Please check this.

I have tried very simple programs for this testing (TrafficLight, multipointtoucharea), but the real software I’d like to try is much more complex and demanding.

We are still working on the current BSP and alpha hardware, the list of already tested features can be found here. We would be happy, if you can share your experience.

Best regards, Jaski

hi @jtrulson

Has the issue been resolved? The Ixora and Apalis Evaluation Board that came with the oficial iMX8Early Access Kit have been modified in order to sustain higher peak current. However, we just discovered that the modification was not done correctly. Instead of increasing the current limit, the limit was actually decreased. This can cause reboots of the module even with relatively low power consumption. More information including a guide for fixing the issue can be found here.

Hi @peter.tx,

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try to bypass (short) the current sensing resistor and do further testing. I am under the gun on another project for this week, but will definitely try it as soon as I can, hopefully without damaging the board :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for looking at this issue!

As mentioned in a previous thread, I was able to finally implement the patch as suggested. This did indeed solve the issue I was seeing.

Thank you!

Perfect, that it works. Thanks for the feedback.