Display for Apalis iMX6 Mezzanine V2.0A

Dear developer,

My Configuration is:

• Apalis imx8qm 4GB V1.0B
  • Apalis Evaluation Board V1.1C
  • Apalis iMX6 Mezzanine V2.0A

Can you recommend a type of display to connect to the Apalis iMX6 Mezzanine V2.0A board?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Hello @LEADTECH,

the Apalis imx6 Mezzanine V2.0A is not meant for use with the Apalis IMX8.
Which size of display do you want to connect ?

Best Regards,

Matthias Gohlke

1 Like

Dear Matthias,
thanks for the information.

For the above configuration (no longer considering the Apalis Mezzanine board) I would like to add two displays.

I don’t have the dimensions of the displays yet (this is the phase of: definition of the system architecture).
However, this is the creation of an HMI prototype.
My intention would be to use a 10.1 inch toradex display (infotainment dedicated display,) using the LVDS connector.

For the second display, given that the Apalis imx6 Mezzanine V2.0A module is not designed for use with Apalis IMX8, how could I solve the problem considering using the hardware configuration illustrated above?
Consider that this display would function as a digital instrument panel (I wanted to use Apalis imx6 Mezzanine V2.0A to use the MIPI DSI interface :frowning: ).

I had thought of using Apalis imx6 Mezzanine also because my intention is to also use a camera with MIPI CSI interface. How can I solve this situation?

I would also like to present a second Architecture, considering two separate development boards toradex (with the relative SOMs): a smaller one dedicated to instrumentation/instrument panel and the other (Apalis Evaluation Board + Apalis imx8qm) dedicated to Infotainment.
In this case, which displays could I match them with? The simplest solution would be to combine two Toradex Capacitive Touch Displays 10.1" LVDS.

I do not exclude that, at least for the instrumentation part (for both architectures), a display with a MIPI DSI interface must be used.

The definition of the architectures will be presented and evaluated (during the presentation) according to the characteristics of the vehicle (which are not in my possession).

I hope I was clear

Thanks for your support

Best regards
Gaetano

Sure, You can connect two LVDS single channel displays to the Apalis iMX6 modules. A single channel LVDS interface can support resolutions up to 1366x768 pixels @60 frames per second (85MHz pixel clock maximum). For higher resolutions, a second LVDS channel is required.
The mentioned Toradex Capacitive Touch Display 10.1 requires a dual-channel LVDS connection. Therefore, if you intend to use it, you will need to select another display interface, such as Parallel RGB or HDMI. You can incorporate a parallel RGB to LVDS converter IC on your carrier board, as it has been done on the Iris 2.0 carrier board. This will enable you to connect a second Toradex Capacitive Touch Display 10.1 to the converter. For more details, please refer to the Iris 2.0 carrier board schematic
The easiest way is to use HDMI display like this one. Connected through DVI to HDMI adapter or cable.

1 Like

Dear Alex,

thanks for your information :pray:.

Sorry if my way of writing in English is not correct. I will try to explain better.

I am sending you the initial specifications of the prototype:

• iMX8 System on Module (SOM)
  • digital audio management
  • digital radio
  • automotive ethernet + CAN bus
  • Universal Serial Bus (USB)
  • 5.0 bluetooth
  • Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) / General Packet Radio Service (GPRS)
  • Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)
  • 5G/WiFi connectivity
  • multiple camera support for surrounding vision and gesture control, ready to interface with autonomous driving
  • Android support

I currently have the following Toradex components:

• IMX8QM 4GB WB V1.0B
  • APALIS EVALUATION BOARD V1.1.C
  • APALIS IMX6 MEZZANINE V2.0A (non compatibile con iMX8)
  • CAPACITIVE TOUCH DISPLAY 10.1" LVDS V1.0A
  • CAPACITIVE TOUCH ADAPTER V1.0A
  • CSI CAMERA MODULE 5MP OV5640 V1.1B
  • ANALOGUE CAMERA ADAPTER V2.0B
  • UNICTRON AA222 MHF4 100mm v1.0a

From the information you provided and from the Toradex components in my possession, I understood that I cannot use APALIS IMX6 MEZZANINE V2.0A as it is not compatible with IMX8 modules

So a possible configuration could be the following (Example architecture n°1)?
Or, instead of using the DVI connector, use the x20 connector of the Apalis carrier board with the THC63LVD827 device and use a second Capacitive LCD Display Toradex Touch 10.1’'?
EXAMPLE ARTCHITECTURE n°1.pdf (1.1 MB)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Gaetano

The recommended way to use Toradex modules is by creating your own carrier board that meets your requirements and incorporates all the necessary peripherals. Toradex provides carrier boards for evaluation and prototyping purposes, and they can also serve as the foundation for designing your custom carrier board since the design of Toradex carrier boards is open source.

If you want to use the Apalis evaluation board with the Apalis iMX8 module and have two displays, you can choose from the following options:

1 Connect an LVDS display, such as the Toradex Capacitive Touch Display 10.1, to the X13 connector.
2.Connect any HDMI display to the X11 connector using an adapter or a special cable.
3.Use a parallel RGB display like the Capacitive Touch Display 7" Parallel connected to X31. Please note that to enable touch support with this display, you will need the Capacitive Touch Adapter .

1 Like