Device tree for getting 24 bit LVDS for Colibri IMX8QXP and Iris 2.0

Hi all,

I am using Colibri IMX8QXP and Iris 2.0 for development of applications with LVDS interface(connector X7) to the Display - ADVANTECH IDK-2110N-K2SVA2E.

I have successfully tested it for 18 bit operation with imx8qxp-colibri-iris-v2.dtb and with following overlays :

colibri-imx8x_parallel-rgb_overlay.dtbo colibri-imx8x_ad7879_overlay.dtbo display-vga_overlay_800_600.dtbo

I slightly modified display-vga_overlay.dts to display-vga_overlay_800_600.dts, for changing the resolution to 800*600.

With the settings;

data-mapping = “bgr666”;

it is finely working for 18 bit LVDS.

But I am not able to make it work for 24bit resolution.
I tried all the settings like : data-mapping = “bgr888”; data-mapping = “rgb24”; data-mapping = “vesa-24”; data-mapping = “jeida-24”;
But with any of these settings, it is not working. Except for the settings : data-mapping = “rgb24”; the display is blank. With data-mapping = “rgb24”; , a blurred display is coming.

Anybody know the exact data mapping setting for getting 24 bit resolution.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Sajeevan.K

Unfortunately it’s not possible to get 24bit LVDS mode on Iris X7 connector when you are using Colibri IMX8QXP.

Form the Colibri IMX8QXP datasheet:

The Colibri iMX8X provides one parallel LCD interface on the SODIMM connector. It supports up to
24-bit colors per pixel. Only the 18-bit mode is ensured to be compatible with other Colibri
modules. The additional signals required for the 24-bit interface are located as alternate functions,
which are not located at the same place as on other Colibri modules with 24-bit color support. We
recommend using the LCD interface of the Colibri iMX8X only in the 18-bit mode.

To get a 24bit LVDS mode, you either need to redesign the Iris board or use the Colibri iMX8X an additional FFC connector that hosts a dual channel LVDS interface.

Hi Alex,

Thank You very much for the reply.
In the Iris 2.0 schematics, the IC THC63LVD827 is fully capable of 24bit functioning. That was the reason for my confusion.
Thank You very much for the confirmation.
Actually we are looking for a powerful combination of SoM, which is capable of Video rendering and recording wirh gstreamer support preferably with 24 bit resolution LVDS display. Rather than redesign, we prefer using the Toradex boards as it is. Can You suggest the best combination from Apalis, Colibri or any other Toradex families for this purpose.
Sajeevan.K

Yes, the IC THC63LVD827 is fully capable of 24bit functioning. Just the 24bit mode is not supported for Colibri IMX8QXP because The additional signals required for the 24-bit interface are located as alternate functions, which are not located at the same place as on other Colibri modules with 24-bit color support.

If you need a 24 bit LVDS out of the box you can either use Iris 2.0 + Colibri iMX6 or Ixora 1.2A + Apalis iMX8

1 Like

Thank You for the information and guidance.
Sajeevan.K