Configuring u-boot with TEZI causes the module to stall after installation

Hi, we are using a Colibri iMX6DL 512MB V1.1A modules with customized image that we install using the Toradex Easy Installer method.

We’re using this method with great satisfaction for quite some time now in an unchanged configuration but we now ran into an issue. The problem occurs as soon the TEZI installation successfully finishes and the system is powered off and on again. The only difference that I have spotted so far is a difference between module version. The ones that fail are rev1.4. Previously versions we used with the same setup are rev1.2 and rev1.3

This is the output after TEZI installation finishes and the system is powered off and on.

U-Boot 2016.11-2.7.4+g1b121c6 (Feb 27 2019 - 14:44:05 +0100)
CPU:   Freescale i.MX6DL rev1.4 at 792 MHz
Reset cause: POR
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
PMIC:  device id: 0x10, revision id: 0x21, programmed
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
Display: wvga-rgb-custom (800x480)
-> freezing point 

After further research and disabling items to find the cause of the situation I noticed that as soon I disabled the u-boot configuration in the TEZI configuration the modules starts normally after the reset. After the installation I added the same u-boot configurations parameter manually to check what line of the configuration could be the issue, but it all went well and the module started as expected in the desired configuration. My thought was then it had something to do with a configuration format change between the versions but the online manual gave me no luck so far. And currently I don’t have any more vanilla modules to test with.

For reference I have attached both the “image. json” and “u-boot-env” configuration files that I use for the automated TEZI installation. attachments

Kind regards,Pascal Krijnberg

Hi @Pascal_Krijnberg and Welcome to the Toradex Community!

The ones that fail are rev1.4. Previously versions we used with the same setup are rev1.2 and rev1.3

As you already noticed, with Toradaex Version Easy Installer Version 1.4, we change the configuration format as describe here.

So is the issue solved now?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi Jaski, Thank you!

Unfortunately after changing the configuration version to “2” and testing a couple of uboot env configurations I am still ending up with a system stat will not start.

I have tried simplifying the uboot.txt env file to a simple “foo=bar” to verify if it could be one of my configurations itself, but this did not solve the issue. As soon as I try to use/enable u_boot_env in the image.json the system will not start after installation.

For clarification, the TEZI installation goes well and it tells me to reboot or power down after the installation finishes. No errors. I use TEZI 1.8.

U-Boot 2016.11-2.7.4+g1b121c6 (Feb 27 2019 - 14:44:05 +0100)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6DL rev1.3 at 792 MHz
Reset cause: POR
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
PMIC:  device id: 0x10, revision id: 0x21, programmed
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
auto-detected panel HDMI
Display: HDMI (1024x768)
--> freeze

If I run an TEZI installation without using “u_boot_env” key/value pair in the image.json configuration, the system starts properly after installation. I must be clearly overlooking or misinterpreting something. Please advise how to solve this issue. It is very important for us to have a working solution that configures u-boot variables because were working with a headless system.

Which version of Linux did you install on the module?

Linux 4.1.44-2.7.4+gb1555bf (oe-user@oe-host) (gcc verion 6.3.0 (GCC) )

Could you please post the output of env default -a; printenv from your U-Boot (of course installed without u_boot_env for now which should boot) plus your current u-boot-env you are using both attached as textual files if possible. Thanks!

Hi Marcel! Attached you find text files of the requested output.
default-environment.txt, this is the output from “env default -a; printenv”
working-environment.txt is the output of the working environment with my u-boot-env added by hand. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Pascal_Krijnberg

We did not have time to look further into this issue. We will come within this week back to you.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx @marcel.tx , I am looking forward to a solution. Please let me know if you need any additional information to come to a solution and or test setup.

Ok, so you are not using any default environment but rather hand tweaked stuff?

That said, I could not really spot anything suspicious in your environment.

BTW: Are you using matching U-Boot SPL or how/where exactly did you take that one from?

Hi @marcel.tx, @jaski.tx

Ok, so you are not using any default environment but rather hand tweaked stuff?

Could you further explain what you mean by this? As far as I understand I am make use of a default environment and use of the u_boot_env for tweaking a couple of parameters.

BTW: Are you using matching U-Boot SPL or how/where exactly did you take that one from?

I build the image using “bitbake b2qt-embedded-qt5-image” and after the build I copy the output files (bootfs, rootfs, u-boot.imx and SPL) from the deploy folder to a USB drive and modify the image.json accordingly to the new filenames. Then I use the Toradex Easy Installer to flash these files to the module. I have just double-checked and tested whether I use all the correct files (date and names) from the deploy folder.

If there is another approach to solve this configuration issue, please let me know. I am all ears :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Pascal

HI @Pascal_Krijnberg

The procedure you described seems to be ok. So just to be sure, if you would flash the built boot2qt image without modifying anything, will this boot or not?

Could you provide the boot2qtimage you built?

Thanks and best regards,
Jaski

Hi @jaski.tx @marcel.tx

I have just send an e-mail to support@toradex.com.

Hi @Pascal_Krijnberg. Thanks for the the E-Mail. Unfortunately the boot2qt was not sent with the e-mail.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi @Pascal_Krijnberg

I tested the demo boot2qt image with your uenv settings but I could not reproduce your issue. Could you check the changes between your image and regular boot2qt demo image?

Thanks and best regards,
Jaski