Configure wifi without ssh

Hello,

I’ve been looking through the Networking with Torizon OS page and didn’t see anything on this.

I want to configure my iMX8MP to connect to chosen wifi network without needing to ssh into the device and executing nmcli -a device wifi connect <WIFI_NAME>. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ben

Greetings @bengur,

Not sure if I understand your question fully. You need to run some command on the device in order to configure WiFi. Is SSH your only way to run commands on the device?

I guess you could create the correct network manager connection file that describes your WiFi connection then integrate that with TorizonCore Builder. Without ever interacting with the device. Though creating the correct connection file needs some know-how as usually the nmcli -a device wifi connect <WIFI_NAME> command would create this for you automatically. Anyways you would then need to flash your custom image to test if your connection file was even correct, so this isn’t very practical.

What exactly is your use-case here?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hey @jeremias.tx,

I guess I’m not familiar with other ways to run commands on the device.

My use case is that I want my device connected on an office wifi network after flashing a custom image to it. Previously I did this by connecting the board to the same network as my dev computer via ethernet and configuring the wifi over ssh.

What are my other options for running commands on the device if I can’t get it and my dev computer on the same network first?

What are my other options for running commands on the device if I can’t get it and my dev computer on the same network first?

Are you using a Toradex carrier board? If so you could setup a serial debug connection as described here: Configuring Serial Port Debug Console (Linux/U-Boot) | Toradex Developer Center

That way you can run commands on the device’s console without having a prior network connection.

Best Regards,
Jeremias