Configuration of onboard Wi-Fi module on Imx6ull (512Mb)

hello,
I am using Colibri-imx6ull_console-image-tezi_2.8b6.184-20190401
generated using kernel branch: Toradex_4.9-2.3.x-imx and ubootbranch: 2016.11-toradex
I have done the customisation for gpios and pripherals and able togenerate .dtb, zimage and
uboot-nand files
for imx6ull 256Mb and found to be working

but now want to migrate to imx6ull 512mb (on board wi fi/bt module) and configure the wi-fi module
Is any change do i need to do in device tree files or need to integrate drivers for wi fi configurations?
please let me know the step by step procedure to configure the on board wi fi module

Hi @SDR ,

You can follow our Quick Start Guide below for Colibri iMX6ULL and Aster. There basic usage of WiFi and configuration is explained.

Please feel free to write us back if you face any issue in same.

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

Hello sir,
Thank you for your valuable reply. I have gone through the details but, it seems to be the part which is used after the image building. Also, I have tested this on demo images provided. But, i am stuck up in generation of image with wi fi pins configuration/ drivers configuration in device tree in kernel 2.8b. I want to generate my own custom image with wi fi functionality using kernel branch: Toradex_4.9-2.3.x-imx and ubootbranch: 2016.11-toradex
please let me know your suggestions

Hi @SDR,

Here I would like to suggest you to check below release note in context with Wifi and then take decision which BSP version to go forward with.

Regarding building custom image please refer below page. Please be noted that on module WiFi is supported out of the box. If you facing any issue kindly share detail information and error so that we can help you with same.

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable reply.
With kernel branch: Toradex_4.9-2.3.x-imx and uboot branch: 2016.11-toradex I have generated customized image for Wi-Fi and facing the below mentioned issue:

root@colibri-imx6ull:~# connmanctl enable wifi

Error wifi: Method “SetProperty” with signature “sv” on interface “net.connman.Technology” doesn’t exist

Also, can you let me know kernel branch, u-boot branch and bsp version for building the customized image for wi - fi configuration to be used or preferred

Hi @SDR ,

Could you please share some logs in order to understand issue in detail. Run below command and share output

dmesg

lsmod

cat /sys/kernel/debug/mmc*/ios

cat /etc/issue

Additionally please share exact hardware version of Colibri iMX6ULL.

Update: BSP 2.8 you need to include backport or test with BSP 5. Check below link for more details.

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

IMX6ULL_512Mb log.pdf (90.1 KB)

hello sir,
Thank you for your valuable reply. I have attached the logs for the above mentioned commands
I am using IMX6ULL 512Mb WB V1.1A & colibri evaluation board V3.2B

I have tried for backports integration but facing some issues. I will share the logs to you
Also, simultaneously working on BSPV5
Please, let me know suggestions if any

imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb (44.8 KB)
imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb (45.1 KB)
u-boot-nand.imx (652 KB)

Hello sir,

I have used toradex_5.4.y bsp, compiled kernel files and able to genrate zImage,imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb, imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb
Steps followed for building linux kernel from source:

git clone -b toradex_5.4.y git://git.toradex.com/linux-toradex.git
cd linux-toradex
make imx_v6_v7_defconfig
make -j3 zImage 2>&1 | tee build.log
make imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb
make imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb

(I have attached defconfig file imx_v6_v7_defconfig which i have used and also attached generated .dtb files for your reference: unable to upload zImage file as file size is greater than 4Mb)
Taken the reference image named Colibri-iMX6ULL_Console-Image-Tezi_3.0b2.65 and replaced above mentioned files keeping u-boot-nand.imx as it is
Installed the OS image into imx6ull 512Mb using toradex easy installer toll but, still wi-fi is not working and showing the below mentioned error

Error wifi: Method “SetProperty” with signature “sv” on interface “net.connman.Technology” doesn’t exist

If I use the zimage and .dtb file given in demo image Colibri-iMX6ULL_Console-Image-Tezi_3.0b2.65 keeping other files as it is then wi-fi found to be working
I have also tried the same procedure for BSP3.0 and generated zImage and .dtb files but,still wi-fi not found to be working

Is any step I am missing? any wifi driver need to be integrated/enabled for Wi-fi module
I have checked with demo images: wi-fi found to be working but, when i compile and generate the files using linux kernel source code
wi-fi not working

Also can you please let me know the exact procedure for generating the demo images given for wi-fi functionality step by step
Please let me know suggestions so that i can worked out the wi-fi functionality
imx_v6_v7_defconfig (10.6 KB)

Didn’t you see message about inability to load modules? Wasn’t output of lsmod command empty? You had as well to build modules and populate them to target FS.

make -j 4 modules
make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=___path to temporary root / __

after module_install you should cp -r or scp -r contents of this temporary root (with /lib/modules) to your target root /. Unable to load modules message should disappear, lsmod should list some modules.

Edward

Hello sir,

Output of lsmod which I have mentioned in earlier post was for image built using kernel 2.8b
Also, I have gone through the steps mentioned by you for toradex_5.4.y as follows
make -j$(nproc) modules
mkdir modules
export INSTALL_MOD_PATH=modules
make modules_install
cd modules
tar -czf …/modules.tar.gz .

copied tar file to target in /home/root and extracted it main rootfs folder
cd ~
tar -xzf modules.tar.gz -C /

root@colibri-imx6ull:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
mwifiex_sdio 36864 0
mwifiex 282624 1 mwifiex_sdio
evbug 16384 0
bnep 20480 2
usb_f_rndis 24576 2
u_ether 24576 1 usb_f_rndis
libcomposite 53248 10 usb_f_rndis
configfs 40960 3 usb_f_rndis,libcomposite

please, let me know your suggestions

Hi @SDR,

When we said BSP 5.4 we meant you can use binary image directly from Toradex without recompiling the kernel and Wi-Fi should work fine. We quickly tested with below version and it works fine.
cat /etc/issue
TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.3.0-devel-20211028064946+build.0 (dunfell) \n \l
Colibri-iMX6ULL_Reference-Multimedia-Image

With BSP 2.8 you need to compile image with backport.

We would recommend you to test with below image first and let us know if it still not work for you.
https://artifacts.toradex.com/artifactory/tdxref-oe-prod-frankfurt/dunfell-5.x.y/release/11/colibri-imx6ull/tdx-xwayland/tdx-reference-multimedia-image/oedeploy/Colibri-iMX6ULL_Reference-Multimedia-Image-Tezi_5.4.0+build.11.tar

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

Hello sir,

I have checked with provided image and wi-fi module found to be working. As I have mentioned wi-fi functionality is working in demo images provided but, I want to generate customized image using kernel files (linux-toradex) with wi-fi functionality which I am unable to using bsp2.8,bsp3.0 and bsp5.0.Also, I have mentioned the issues faced by me in my above posts for different bsp’s
please, let me know your suggestions

Hi @SDR

As it is shown in your lsmod output, WiFi driver module is loaded. You should see WiFi card listed in ifconfig -a or ip link show.

I remember this annoying message but I don’t remember how I was solving it. Something tells me something is missing in kernel config, but I’m not sure. Did you customize kernel config? I got rid of connman completely and prefer systemd-networkd + wpa_supplicant + hostapd, so I can’t help you with this connman issue. BTW is connmand running? When connmand was not starting due to boot from NFS, connmanctl was emitting quite cryptic messages as well.

Good luck with this

Edward

Hello sir,
Can you please let me know the steps for using binary image directly from BSP 5.4 for Wi-Fi
Also, I am facing issues with backports integration in bsp2.8b6 i have mentioned the steps below:
make -j4 modules
export INSTALL_MOD_PATH=modules
make modules_install
cd modules
tar -czf …/modules.tar.gz

copied tar file to target in /home/root and extracted it main rootfs folder
cd ~
tar -xzf modules.tar.gz -C /
checked with following commands:

1. lsmod
    output:
    Module Size Used by
    bluetooth 339497 2
    usb_f_rndis 15612 2
    u_ether 12433 1 usb_f_rndis
    mcp251x 10860 0
    can_dev 12485 1 mcp251x
    libcomposite 45252 10 usb_f_rndis
    configfs 31946 3 usb_f_rndis,libcomposite

2. root@colibri-imx6ull:~# connmanctl enable wifi

please, let me know what I am missing as wi-fi using backports is not working for me in case of toradex_4.9-2.3.x-imx (linux-toradex) & 2016.11-toradex (uboot)

please let me know suggestions if any

Hi @SDR,

Is there any dependency or requirement for the product to use BSP 2.8. If project is still in development we will request you to migrate to BSP 5.4. Please note BSP 2.8 will not get future update it is highly advised to use BSP 5.4 where most of known issues are already fixed.

Meanwhile can you please also test with systemd-networkd + wpa_supplicant + hostapd and see if it works.

Please check below links for detail information

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

hello sir,
Thank you for you reply.
We have already used bsp2.8 with device tree customization for one of our project (imx6ull 256mb)and now, we need wi-fi functionality (imx6ull 512mb) into that so using the same bsp2.8 and using angstrom os without graphical user interface. Can you provide me the link for bsp 5.4 as i want to build the kernel files for device tree customization with respect to some GPIO pins and peripherals (linux toradex files and uboot files) where if I compile it and generate the zimage and .dtb files I will be able to enable the wi-fi and gpio & peripherals functionality as per our requirement.

Also, for bsp5.4.y I will check with systemd-networkd + wpa_supplicant + hostapd and update you.

please, let me know suggestions if any

Hi @SDR ,

Check this link. While cloning select appropriate branch as per kernel version table in same link.

Please note 5.4.y is upstream kernel for downstream select toradex_5.4-2.3.x-imx branch for BSP 5.4.0 .

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

hello sir,
I have gone through the link and compiled the toradex_5.4-2.3.x-imx branch (linux-toradex) and generated the zImage, imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb & imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb files
I have copied the Zimage, imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb & imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb
files into the demo image given by you TDX Wayland with XWayland 5.3.0-devel-20211028064946+build.0 (dunfell) \n \l
Colibri-iMX6ULL_Reference-Multimedia-Image. Using easy installer I have flashed the image into the SOM and lsmod command output is shown blank. Can you tell what I am missing here to detect the wi-fi module? Any configuration issue ?

Hi @SDR ,

I think you forgot to update kernel module. Check this link.

Best Regards
Ritesh Kumar

hello sir,
I have done the modules compilation and installation on imx6ull. Wi-Fi module is working fine. I am having below mentioned queries:
1.how i can install the required packages on this OS using command line?
2. Can you please tell me or share the link for the demo images without graphical user interface & angstorm OS in which I can copy my imx6ull-colibri-eval-v3.dtb, imx6ull-colibri-wifi-eval-v3.dtb, zimage and u-boot-nand.imx files & use the wi-fi functionality?
3. Is there any alternate method instead of copying modules folder using scp on the imx6ull and extracting it I can directly get the wi-fi fuctionality in zimage ?

please, let me know suggestions if any