Compiling U-Boot for Verdin AM62

We are currently writing our application for the AM62, therefore we need to change U-Boot. I’ve found a tutorial for compiling U-Boot from source code :
https://developer.toradex.com/linux-bsp/os-development/build-u-boot-and-linux-kernel-from-source-code/build-u-boot/#downstream

At the point in the tutorial “Get and Apply the Necessary Patches”. In step 3 I get stuck.

The directory is filled with patch files. And when I run the command “git am 0001-toradex-tdx-cfg-block-use-only-snprintf.patch” I get the response:

Applying: toradex: tdx-cfg-block: use only snprintf
error: patch failed: board/toradex/common/tdx-common.c:89
error: board/toradex/common/tdx-common.c: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 toradex: tdx-cfg-block: use only snprintf
hint: Use ‘git am --show-current-patch’ to see the failed patch
When you have resolved this problem, run “git am --continue”.
If you prefer to skip this patch, run “git am --skip” instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run “git am --abort”.

What is going wrong?

I think the list given in the tutorial is not up-to-date anymore. You need to apply the patches in the exact same order like they’re applied in the .bb file.

If you take e.g. the .bb from the Kirkstone branch: u-boot-toradex_2022.07.bb « u-boot « recipes-bsp - meta-toradex-bsp-common.git - Toradex BSP layer, recipes common to all modules

Then you can see in line 11 the variable TDX_PATCHES being assigned. You need to apply patches like they’re ordered in this variable.

Thank you! I will try this.

The first file in u-boot-toradex_2022.07.bb from the Kirckstone branch is 0001-toradex-tdx-cfg-block-use-only-snprintf.patch and this is the same as the first file listed in the tutorial.
It it possible that i need to use the hash of a newer BSP Version? A version what is not listed now in the tutorial? The hash of the BSP version i currently use is 6.4.0.

Apparently there is also another way to build U-Boot for AM62. Described on Specifics: Build U-Boot for TI AM62x-based SoMs | Toradex Developer Center

Following this tutorial I get an error in the part Build OP-TEE Image.
After the make command (make PLATFORM=k3 CFG_ARM64_core=y)
I get after a whole list of successful compiled files :
GEN out/arm-plat-k3/core/ta_pub_key.c
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “scripts/pem_to_pub_c.py”, line 71, in
main()
File “scripts/pem_to_pub_c.py”, line 24, in main
from cryptography.hazmat.backends import default_backend
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘cryptography’
make: *** [mk/subdir.mk:185: out/arm-plat-k3/core/ta_pub_key.c] Error 1

How to fix this?

Hi @RemcoSeascape !

I am double checking the steps for compiling U-Boot for Verdin AM62. I will get back you here once I have an answer.

I would like to take some steps back:

Could you please share why you would need to rebuild the U-Boot? The need to develop an application for Verdin AM62 doesn’t mean that you will need to rebuild U-Boot. What is your requirement for U-Boot?

Best regards,

We want to turn on the wdt command in U-Boot.

The following packages in needed to install
apt install python3-pip
apt install python3-pyelftools
pip3 install cryptography
pip3 install -U ‘jsonschema<4.0’

It would be nice to mention this in the prerequisites part or in then Prepare the Host Machine for Cross-Compilation section.
After installing this I get a lot further. An error occurred in “Build U-Boot for R5”.

When downloading “ti-fs-firmware-am62x-gp.bin”

Its look like $TI_LINUX_FW_DIR isnt set.

Hi @RemcoSeascape !

I was informed that indeed seems like we have some issues on our documentation on how to build U-Boot for AM62.

Following this might help you: Verdin AM62 Module — Das U-Boot unknown version documentation.

We will double check our step-by-step.

Thanks for bringing this up.

About this, please be aware that the WDT for AM62 on U-Boot is still not working: AM625: U-boot crash when RTI watchdog is enabled - Processors forum - Processors - TI E2E support forums.

Best regards,

Hello Henrique,

Thank you the documentation from Das U-Boot is helping. But only for the u-boot part.

During compiling I get a missing Blob error. It still is making the files:
tiboot3-am62x-hs-fs-verdin.bin, tispl.bin and u-boot.bin
But when i flash them the U-Boot isnt starting at boot. After a recovery i only flash u-boot.bin . Now it works. But still missing the first two files.

The errors i get when compiling are:
make CROSS_COMPILE=$CC32 BINMAN_INDIRS=$LNX_FW_PATH

Image ‘tiboot3-am62x-hs-verdin.bin’ is missing optional external blobs but is still functional: ti-fs-enc.bin sysfw-inner-cert
/binman/tiboot3-am62x-hs-verdin.bin/ti-fs-enc.bin (ti-sysfw/ti-fs-firmware-am62x-hs-enc.bin):
Missing blob
/binman/tiboot3-am62x-hs-verdin.bin/sysfw-inner-cert (ti-sysfw/ti-fs-firmware-am62x-hs-cert.bin):
Missing blob
Image ‘tiboot3-am62x-hs-fs-verdin.bin’ is missing optional external blobs but is still functional: ti-fs-enc.bin sysfw-inner-cert
/binman/tiboot3-am62x-hs-fs-verdin.bin/ti-fs-enc.bin (ti-sysfw/ti-fs-firmware-am62x-hs-fs-enc.bin):
Missing blob

and the second compile part.
make CROSS_COMPILE=$CC64 BINMAN_INDIRS=$LNX_FW_PATH BL31=$TFA_PATH/build/k3/$TFA_BOARD/release/bl31.bin TEE=$OPTEE_PATH/out/arm-plat-k3/core/tee-raw.bin

MKIMAGE u-boot-dtb.img
BINMAN .binman_stamp
Image ‘ti-dm’ is missing external blobs and is non-functional: blob-ext
/binman/ti-dm/blob-ext (ti-dm/am62xx/ipc_echo_testb_mcu1_0_release_strip.xer5f):
Missing blob

Some images are invalid
make: *** [Makefile:1125: .binman_stamp] Error 103

Hello @RemcoSeascape,

Sorry for the delay on this topic.

Please note that the section Get and Apply the Necessary Patches is intended only for upstream-based modules, therefore it should not be followed for the Verdin AM62.

The recommended flow to build u-boot from source code for the Verdin AM62 is the following:

1. Follow the steps in Build U-Boot From Source Code | Toradex Developer Center
  2. Follow the steps in Specifics: Build U-Boot for TI AM62x-based SoMs | Toradex Developer Center

Both are required.

There are some issues with the current versions of these pages, I have investigated the problems and we are working to fix them.
It would be recommended that you do not try to follow these pages before they are updated.
Once the pages are updated, I will send an update on this thread.

Best Regards,
Bruno

Hello @RemcoSeascape,

The page has been updated and can be followed to build u-boot from source for the Verdin AM62.

Best Regards,
Bruno

Hello Bruno,

Thankyou for your messages. Soon we will try the new building steps.

Regards,
Remco

Hello Bruno,

The instructions on the updated page worked. Thankyou.

Regards,
Remco

Hello @RemcoSeascape,

Thanks for the feedback.

Best Regards,
Bruno