Compile Mainline Kernel for Colibry T30

There is a question/answer talking about compiling the mainline Kernel for the Apalis T30.
Can this process be used without change on the Colibry T30?
Or are there some traps?

Thank you

There is a question/answer talking about compiling the mainline Kernel for the Apalis T30. Can this process be used without change on the Colibry T30?

Sure, why not? Actually for the Colibri T30 there won’t even anything much special be needed. Just copy your freshly compiled device tree and mainline kernel (e.g. using the regular tegra_defconfig and an uImage with the LOADADDR of 0x80008000) to /media/mmcblk0p1, reboot and make sure to use the proper eMMC partition (e.g. root=/dev/mmcblk1p2) as unfortunately mainline uses a different device instance numbering scheme and you should be all set.

Or are there some traps?

Well, there are always some traps especially when using cutting edge mainline stuff. First of course as mentioned on several occasions before there won’t be any hardware accelerated graphics/multimedia stacks available which are compatible with mainline. Other than that as far as I know there is still no accepted solution for the out-of-band reset handling of the on-module USB-to-Ethernet chip available in mainline. Luckily one can just have U-Boot doing this (e.g. just doing a usb start before doing the run emmcboot) and Linux won’t mess any further with it and you should be getting a regular eth0 network device. That said it also won’t be using our MAC address as derived from the module’s serial number but rather defaults to the ASIX standard one. However that can easily be fixed up in user space if need be.

Please find attached a complete boot log of running 4.9.0-rc7-next-20161202 which I happened to have laying around from my continuing mainlining work.

When do we use LOADADDR=0x80008000 or LOADADDR=0x82008000 (linked Thread)?

For T30 the LOADADDR is generally 0x80008000 and the device tree is loaded to 0x82000000.