Colibri imx8x wifi AP packet lost

Hi,

On our colibri-imx8x boards, we are seeing quite few packet lost when connected to the wifi AP set eup on the board.
It’s not in hotspot mode, only AP with one client connected to the AP.
Power save mode of the uap0 device is deactivated.
Ping command shows few percentage of packet lost, which I never see with any other wifi AP.
The AP is setup using hostapd as seen there : How to Setup Wi-Fi Access Point Mode (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center
Our software is still quite sensible to network latency and those lost packet is causing us issues…
Is there anything I can do to fix this ?
Thanks

Have you connected 2 antennas to the Wi-Fi module?

Hi @alex.tx ,Thanks for taking the time to answer, we did both tests, with 1 or 2 antennas :frowning:

We also tried the AP setup using network manager, and now we’re giving the hostapd setup a try, but few percent of packet lost still …

Hello @pierreB ,
Can you share with us the output of tdx-info?

Best regards,
Josep

Yes, sorry I should have included these informations from the beginning :

Software summary
------------------------------------------------------------
Bootloader:               U-Boot
Kernel version:           5.15.77-6.3.0+git.ddc6ca4d76ea #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 29 10:14:22 UTC 2023
Kernel command line:      root=LABEL=otaroot rootfstype=ext4 quiet logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0 plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles splash fbcon=map:3 ostree=/ostree/boot.1/torizon/1a85db306f124fca9d5f4432Ed5dd75f78e21795bc203e60eb7a81886ba5e385ed6/0
Distro name:              NAME="TorizonCore"
Distro version:           VERSION_ID=6.3.0-build.4
Hostname:                 REDACTED

Hardware info
HW model:                 Toradex Colibri iMX8QXP on Colibri Evaluation Board V3
Toradex version:          0038 V1.0D
Serial number:            REDACTED
Processor arch:           aarch64

Hello @pierreB ,
I have tried to reproduce your issue with the following setup:
HW and SW (output from tdx-info )

Software summary
Bootloader:               U-Boot
Kernel version:           5.15.77-6.3.0+git.ddc6ca4d76ea #1-TorizonCore SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 29 10:14:22 UTC 2023
Kernel command line:      root=LABEL=otaroot rootfstype=ext4 quiet logo.nologo vt.global_cursor_default=0 plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles splash fbcon=map:3 ostree=/ostree/boot.1/torizon/1a85db306f124fca9d5f44d5dd75f78e21795bc203e60eb7a81886ba5e385ed6/0
Distro name:              NAME="TorizonCore"
Distro version:           VERSION_ID=6.3.0-build.4
Hostname:                 colibri-imx8x-06748677

Hardware info
HW model:                 Toradex Colibri iMX8QXP on Colibri Evaluation Board V3
Toradex version:          0038 V1.0D
Serial number:            06748677
Processor arch:           aarch64

I created an AP using NetworkManager and connected a laptop to the AP. Then I pinged the AP from the laptop. I couldn’t see any packet loss.

Is this test similar to yours? Is there something I could be missing?

Best regards,
Josep

Hi,

Nope, from what I can see you did not missing anything … Which bothers me a little as reproducing is the first step for you to be able to help me :frowning: .

We switched to hostapd for the AP setup as the NM way has disappeared from the toradex page (How to Setup Wi-Fi Access Point Mode (Linux) | Toradex Developer Center)

Hello @pierreB ,

Since you are using Torizon OS, you should use the following documentation (for NetworkManager):

Best regards,
Josep

Hi,

We did use the network manager at first, and the result was similar…