Colibri iMX6 Kernel module deployment

Hello,

I have a new Colibri iMX6 and I am trying to set up a USB - Ethernet device to my module.
I have previously done this to another iMX6 I have and several VF61, by Compiling the kernel Image, updating the Kernel and then deploying the necessary Kernel module, following the guides here:

However, that was before Toradex easy Installer. In this new IMX6, I installed the LINUX version 2.7 using the easy installer, as I saw that it was way easier before. However, now I am trying to install the kernel module to allow the USB - Ethernet device, and am a bit lost.

According to the developer page, the Kernel compilation step seems to be the same as before. I am lost in the Kernel update part. It says to integrate and then use the Toradex easy installer. Does that mean that I should have prepared everything before installing the linux image? Is it possible to install the Kernel modules without the easy installer?

I also saw that there was a section called Legacy images, which is exactly how I previously did to update the kernel. Is it still possible to use that approach in my case, with the newer images?

Finally, I would like to know if it is possible to skip all those steps and just directly deploy the Kernel module required for the iMX6 to recognize the device.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

As usual, there are many ways you can solve a problem when using Linux.

With the legacy update tools, we always unpacked the rootfs on a Linux host, before repacking it and copy it on a SD card. The Toradex Easy Installer to some degree shortcuts that step by directly reading the image files and writing it to the on-module flash.

However, you still can unpack the rootfs on your Linux host. Just download the Image in the Toradex Easy Installer format (e.g. from the Toradex Easy Installerl developer article), unpack the .tar file, and unpack the rootfs contained in the tar file as root:

$ mkdir rootfs 
$ sudo tar xJf Colibri-iMX6_LXDE-Image.rootfs.tar.xz -C rootfs

Now you can add the kernel modules as before to the root file system. Then, pack the rootfs again:

$ sudo tar cJf Colibri-iMX6_LXDE-Image.rootfs.tar.xz . -C rootfs

Then move the complete folder to a mass storage device (SD card/USB flash drive) and install the image using the Toradex Easy Installer.

Alternatively, you can make use of the USB Mass Storage Emulation capabilities of the Toradex Easy Installer. After installing the image (via Internet or any other method), press Return to menu then deselect RNDIS and click on Mass Storage. Make sure you connect a Linux host via USB. Linux should mount the FAT boot partition and the root file system. You can now directly install the kernel modules to that mounted root file system.

Thank you, this set me in the right direction.

You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.