Colibri-imx6 - custom console image

Hi

I am looking for a simple bitbake recipe steps to create my custom image layer. I have tried to follow the Webinar On-Demand: Part 2 (Advanced) - Building Embedded Linux Images with the Yocto Project; but that is not easy to follow if you don’t have all the patches that are used in the webinar.

I have created a HelloWorld.c program and I would like to create a bitbake recipe to include that into my final image. Is there a simple procedure that I can follow to make this image?

My host machine is ubuntu 14.04 (64).

I am able to run the following command successfully (no errors).

bitbake -k angstrom-lxde-image

console-trdx-image

I have also installed the SDK

armv7at2hf-vfp-neon-v2015.12-toolchain.sh

Angstrom SDK installer version nodistro.0

Target directory for SDK /usr/local/oecore-x86_64

My HelloWorld.c is located in the /usr/local/oecore-x86_64/test.

I am able to compile HelloWorld.c without any issue.

Any support or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

You might find the following article helpful.

@omidtes I apologize if the webinar is unclear about this, but the content of the patches is not really important to the concept of creating your own layer and recipes. Consider ignoring the kernel & uboot customizations made in the webinar and start by simply copying the console-trdx-image.bb recipe into your layer.

Hi
Thanks for your response.
I am able to run this command successfully.
build> bitbake fb-draw

I have followed the article but my final image does not build.
bitbake product-image (Fails) Below are the errors.

ERROR: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/testbuilder/oe-core/build/out-glibc/work/colibri_imx6-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2015.10+gitAUTOINC+1b6aee73e6-r0/temp/log.do_compile.444)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/testbuilder/oe-core/build/out-glibc/work/colibri_imx6-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2015.10+gitAUTOINC+1b6aee73e6-r0/temp/log.do_compile.444

How would I change this example to create an image for Colibri_iMX6 instead of Colibri_T30?
What files needs to be tweaked or modified?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in advance.

Hi

May I suggest to first build and flash an image which is part of what we provide.
e.g. going through this article and do a MACHINE=colibri-imx6 bitbake console-trdx-image.
Then take the image and install it by following this article.

This should make sure that you have your Linux with the needed prerequisites and you are familiar with the workflow of building and deploying an image.

Only after that start to customize your build.

Apart from having a different set MACHINE variable nothing needs to be changed to build for Colibri iMX6.
However the example in the blog does also modify the machine specific part of U-Boot. That of course needs to be ported to the Colibri iMX6 specific files.

The error you report is about U-Boot built from this meta-fsl-arm recipe. These sources are not compatible with the Colibri iMX6. So likely you did not build for the correct MACHINE or you messed something up in the machine configuration.

Max