Can't Connect to Device After Re-Installation of Torizon

with the release party yesterday (great stuff!) I wanted to try ApolloX.

After installing the extension I was able to connect but got strange error messages. I then reinstalled Torizon on the module and now I can no longer connect. The error message doesn’t say much:

[04-20 10:56:31.137] Trying to connect to
[04-20 10:56:41.089] ERROR :: Error trying to connect to apalis-imx8-06494488.local : undefined

If I enter the wrong username or password, I get a different error message.
Connecting to the device with the + symbol and entering IP address doesn’t work either.

But inside WSL I can connect via ssh:

user@Lenovo:~$ ssh torizon@apalis-imx8-06494488.local
torizon@apalis-imx8-0xxxxx8.local's password:
Last login: Sat Mar 18 18:01:38 2023 from

I’ve got the warning about changed host/fingerprint the first time I connected as expected.

I assume it has something to do with the fingerprint/changed host?

ApolloX version 2.0.0

Hi @Qubit ,

After installing the extension I was able to connect but got strange error messages.

Can you describe what exactly were those error messages?

I just talked with the extension team and if you reinstalled TorizonCore on the SoM you have to remove the device in the extension then connect it again.

Just go to your device in the Connected Devices menu then select Remove Device, then try to connect it as you did for the first time.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi @lucas_a.tx

Error is: ERROR :: Error trying to connect to apalis-imx8-06494488.local : undefined

I’ve already removed the device from the “connected devices” pane. Before I tried to connect once. Probably this caused the issue?

I only see this error in “Output”. Are there any other logs? Or is there another way to test the connection? Inside WSL Ubuntu 22.04 I can connect.

Hi @Qubit ,

you can try “CTRL SHIFT P” in VS Code and enter “Logs” which should bring up “Developer: Show Logs”. Select this entry and then select either Extension Host or Extension Host (Remote) - it depends on where the ApolloX extension is installed. This should bring up a more detailed log regarding extensions.

Best regards,

1 Like

Hi @Qubit ,

Did you change the default password (being torizon) after you reinstalled TorizonCore? I was able to reproduce your issue after reinstalling TorizonCore on a SoM then trying to connect to it with the default password.

Usually when logging in for the first time as user torizon on a new TorizonCore installation the user is immediately prompted to change the password. This may not be very well handled by V2.0 of the extension, which in turn could be the cause of the problem.

If you haven’t changed the default password on the module, try doing that through serial/SSH then see if you can connect the device on the extension. I’ll report this behavior to the extension team.

EDIT: Forgot a ‘you’ in the last paragraph.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira

Hi lucas

Sure, I change the default password always.

On Friday I thought I delete the development environment and WSL. But I haven’t got around to reinstalling them yet.

Good, you were able to reproduce it, then it’s probably a bug :slight_smile:

Yes, this was the issue. Changed the password back to default and now I can connect.
(before I re-installed the whole development environment :sweat_smile:)

Glad I was able to help!

As a side note, we recently discovered that the same error also happens on the IDE extension V2 if the user password has a combination of certain special characters like $, #, &, etc.

The extension team is aware of the problem and a solution is being discussed. In the meantime, using a password without the special characters is a possible workaround.

Best regards,
Lucas Akira