Can we implement AGL(Automotive Grade Linux) on Apalis Imx6 machine

Hi, I want to implement AGL in Apals IMX6 machine. How can I enable meta-agl layer in oe-core. Could you please guide us regarding this.

Thank you.

Hi Nitish,

What BSP version are you currently building Custom Linux Image?

From Toradex BSP 5.0 is based on dunfell and quickly checking for meta-agl it is in the master branch only.

https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-agl/

To add to yocto build setup one needs to clone the meta layer in the layers directory of yocto project.

After that update the conf/bblayers.conf with new meta-layer

e.g

${TOPDIR}/…/layers/openembedded-core/meta \

${TOPDIR}/…/layers/layers/meta-agl \

There would also be a command to add a new layer to bblayer.conf: bitbake-layers add-layer. But this includes the meta layer with absolute paths, which can be avoided by adding it manually.

Now you have your new layer added and can be used to build package from that layer.

Note: We have not tested meta-agl layer so we can not commit if it will build without any error or issue.

For more understanding please check the below article in detail

Best Regards

Ritesh Kumar

Hi @ritesh.tx ,
We are using Toradex BSP 2.8.
Can we install meta-agl layer in it ? Will Toradex BSP 2.8 support meta-agl?

I tried to clone meta-agl layer in Toradex BSP 2.8 and build but it is giving error as incompatible version.

Hi Nitish,

Can you please post the full error log here.

Please note we do not have experience with the meta-agl layer. The best place is to check with AGL support for the issue.

That said we can give a quick try but that will depend on the requirement, we can discuss over meeting or telephonic call in order to understand better and support you with all the possible options.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Best Regards

Ritesh Kumar

I have clone the meta-agl layer in our TORADEX BSP 2.8 with the following command inside /oe-core/layers/:
/oe-core/layers$ git clone https://git.automotivelinux.org/AGL/meta-agl

cloning of meta-agl layer is successful.
But when I given the build, I received the following error  as mention below:

/oe-core/build$ bitbake -k console-tdx-image
ERROR: Unable to start bitbake server
ERROR: Last 10 lines of server log for this session (/home/embadmin/Project/oe-core/build/bitbake-cookerdaemon.log):
  File "/home/embadmin/Project/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/bitbake/lib/bb/server/process.py", line 433, in _startServer
    self.cooker = bb.cooker.BBCooker(self.configuration, self.featureset)
  File "/home/embadmin/Project/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 197, in __init__
    self.initConfigurationData()
  File "/home/embadmin/Project/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py", line 356, in initConfigurationData
    self.databuilder.parseBaseConfiguration()
  File "/home/embadmin/Project/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/bitbake/lib/bb/cookerdata.py", line 316, in parseBaseConfiguration
    raise bb.BBHandledException
bb.BBHandledException
ERROR: Layer agl is not compatible with the core layer which only supports these series: rocko (layer is compatible with dunfell)

Now I am trying to install TORADEX BSP 5.0 (dunfell version) and try to clone meta-agl layer there. Hope it works.

Thank you @ritesh.tx

You are welcome. Please let us know your results.

Best regards,
Jaski